Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Peach trees - Pikilily?  (Read 2098 times)

BlueDaisy

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Grow your own - veg and chooks!
Peach trees - Pikilily?
« on: February 16, 2011, 08:30:30 am »
I couldn't resist getting a peach tree from Aldi last week but I'm fairly sure it's going to need special treatment.
Whilst I'm waiting for my 'Fruit Expert' book to be delivered, I wondered if anyone grew peaches? And how they treat them. I'm in North East Scotland (and it runs in my head that Pikilily has peaches/nectarines just along the road from me.) I think I'll have to keep it in a pot, keep it well pruned (maybe even cordon trained), against a south facing wall, and protected in winter (hence the need for growing in a pot).
Any advice?

ellied

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Fife
    • Facebook
Re: Peach trees - Pikilily?
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2011, 05:51:25 pm »
No idea but I bought one too and am in central Scotland so any advice would be very welcome :)
Barleyfields Smallholding & Kirkcarrion Highland Ponies
https://www.facebook.com/kirkcarrionhighlands/
Ellie Douglas Therapist
https://www.facebook.com/Ellie-Douglas-Therapist-124792904635278/

seldomseen

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Crimea
Re: Peach trees - Pikilily?
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2011, 12:27:30 pm »
I have about 100 peach trees, be aware that peach trees need hot sunny days to ripen so dont expect too much out of them in England, If there are not hot sunny days the fruit may swell but not be sweet or ripen, there are 1 or 2 that need another peach tree to fertilize. But most will fertilize them selves.
My only advise would be to plant it in a hot sunny position, and get the next door neighbor to prune it (as we say around here, if you are new to it, you may leave too many buds on in the spring pruning lol they need hard pruning) the flower buds are susceptible to late frosts. the buds can be open ie: no pink showing through, but still burst, you should be ok if a bad frost hits you, if the flower bud opens ie:you can see pink and you get a bad frost check by splitting a flower open and seeing if it is black in the middle after a couple of days. If its still pink or green chances are you should be ok.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS