Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Bonfire  (Read 4072 times)

ellied

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Fife
    • Facebook
Bonfire
« on: February 15, 2011, 03:59:48 pm »
Blissful day - weather dry and slightly breezy from the south so I have been at a bonfire for a few hours - let it die down about 1 and it's still hot but nearly there now :)  I've had masses of branches off the fallen/demolished tree and been stacking logs but had all the green stuff and a whole load of other garden rubbish to go - 3 burn hours barely touched it but is a great start and I've also got most of the other prunings and cut branches over to within reach of the fire site for next time as I made enough space with what I got through.

I'm happy cos I just love bonfires :) but it's lovely to see spaces opening up as the heaps go down, move around and gradually disappear - feel I may be getting somewhere finally :)

Farrier cancelled this morning so I had been disappointed but not now ;)  Now I'm just stiff and in need of a cuppa and a chocolate digestive but I earned it  :D
Barleyfields Smallholding & Kirkcarrion Highland Ponies
https://www.facebook.com/kirkcarrionhighlands/
Ellie Douglas Therapist
https://www.facebook.com/Ellie-Douglas-Therapist-124792904635278/

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
  • i have chickens, sheep and opinions!!!
Re: Bonfire
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2011, 04:03:49 pm »
one of my biggest clients houses has a burn area permenantly available as this winter alone I must have burned 50 cubic metres of loose brush and spindley stuff left after pruning, we keep anthing bigger than 2 inches in diameter for log burners but the spindly stuff gets burned

my favorite job for those cold clear days in winter!!!!

faith0504

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Cairngorms
  • take it easy and chill
    • blaemuir cottage
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2011, 04:41:55 pm »
it must be catching i have been thinking about bonfires today, piling all the old bits of hay up and collecting garden rubbish, we just need to dry out a wee bit more here  :wave:

Norfolk Newby

• Joined Aug 2009
  • West Norfolk, UK
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2011, 04:46:29 pm »
if you have space, a pile of old clean wood (not painted or treated stuff) is a great help to the local wild life. It doesn't have to be big logs, a mixture of sizes is ideal. Stacked or pile in an area where it can be left to rot lets all sorts or birds, bugs, animals, fungi and plants prosper. The wood has to be left for years so that it can decompose naturally and leave the creatures to benefit.

Just a thought.
Novice - growing fruit, trees and weeds

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2011, 05:22:31 pm »
everything is still far too wet here, will need a few dry days first  ::)
mind that you don't burn on old heaps - hedgehogs and toads might still hibernate in them  :&>

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2011, 12:14:06 am »
I'm another bonfire fan - very satisfying.  There's something very primitive and cleansing about having a fire.

We always add stuff to the fire, rather than setting fire to an existing pile, for the sake of all those creatures.  Anything useable in the wood burner is stacked, and logs which are too difficult to split go onto wildlife piles to rot down.  Do I get a gold star ?  ;D ;D  No?  OK........
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2011, 06:55:53 am »
 :ladybug: :ladybug: Dan , we need some gold stars!  :D :&>

ellied

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Fife
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2011, 09:58:54 am »
I always add gradually rather than set light to a whole pile - not just because of wildlife (tho these piles have only been there 2 weeks - 2 days ago!) but because the piles are so big and right beside my house ;) so no worries on that score.

I tend to burn anything I can't use rather than leave things to rot, other than the compost heaps which I can use later on the veg beds.  I'm allergic to fungus so that doesn't appeal but I do support the wildlife as much as I can..

Sadly it's pouring with rain today so no round 2 just yet but I'm ready to go when it dries up enough as the evergreen burns well even damp once you get the fire going :)
Barleyfields Smallholding & Kirkcarrion Highland Ponies
https://www.facebook.com/kirkcarrionhighlands/
Ellie Douglas Therapist
https://www.facebook.com/Ellie-Douglas-Therapist-124792904635278/

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2011, 11:47:57 am »
My ma-in-law, Dan's mum, is a pyromaniac  ;D so she's in charge of burning here. We have piles of rotting wood in the wood, for wildlife but if we left it all, we'd have nowhere to walk  ;D

There is something in a bonfire that appeals to the soul. No desire to get my kit off and dance round it though  ;D

Sandy

« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2011, 12:03:44 pm »
We bought a large chimmenea last year to sit around, we used to have one of those incinerater bins as we used to have a small garden, that itself brings to mind a time we moved to a small house and after a day of unpacking my Husband lit a bonfire in the incinerator bin as I settled into a hot bath, I just saw him out of the window before I got in and noticed he was taking the black bin bags towards the fire, I got in, lay back and then the penny dropped, I had several areosol cans in the bin, just as I went to shout out of the window, I heard what sounded like a fireword display....too late!!!!! thankfully no damage done!!!!!!! We love our fires, once you get a bonfire going you keep seeking out other stuff to burn!!!!!!!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS