Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Greenhouse Heaters  (Read 2656 times)

Badger

• Joined May 2010
Greenhouse Heaters
« on: February 14, 2011, 07:43:48 pm »
Hello, We have just purchased a greenhouse, my partner is itching to get cracking with her seeds. Does anybody know how much it costs to run a parafin heater. Parafin is no longer the cheap fuel it was in the old days. I guess it would only have to run overnight during this fairly mild period.

Badger

johnmac

• Joined Dec 2008
  • Perth
Re: Greenhouse Heaters
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2011, 10:53:37 pm »
You are right...It ain't cheap!! I think paraffin is about £7 for four litres last time I was in bandq. I have my paraffin heater away! I might be wrong but I think kerosene (central heating oil) can be used as it's the same thing?? In which case sook it out your tank for around 60p a litre??

Electric ones are a possible... But probably equally as expensive to run... Unless you wire it
into a car battery?

Personally for me it's the
window sill for seedling
until March!! Grow the stuff that needs the longest time... Ie tomatoes and
grow the rest innthe greenhouse come march!

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Re: Greenhouse Heaters
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2011, 12:07:10 am »
We did try a paraffin heater but it was expensive to run even a few years ago, and the one we had was extremely unstable.  Heating the whole greenhouse doesn't make sense for seeds, although you might need to do it later in the year when your plants are mature and frost is forecast.  I work things similarly to johnmac, starting seeds indoors although it's cold here so I use a propagator.  Getting the timing right is a trick - if you start your seeds off too early without sufficient light they will become long and weak (etiolated), but if you leave them until the weather warms up enough then you won't get a crop before the autumn frosts.
Have you thought of using warming cables in sand under the pots/seedtrays in the greenhouse, with fleece or a cloche over them at night?  It might bge possible to run them off a car/tractor battery if you don't have power in the greenhouse.  If you do have to heat the whole greenhouse, then it would be worth covering the whole thing with fleece or a blanket on cold nights.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS