Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: how much land needed for 1 cow  (Read 33988 times)

mab

• Joined Mar 2009
  • carmarthenshire
how much land needed for 1 cow
« on: February 14, 2011, 12:15:05 pm »
Hi, could anyone tell me how much land would I need for a Dexter cow? I've read somewhere that cows can be stocked at 2 per acre of pasture but my acre doesn't seem like much - and she would be sharing with 2 shetland sheep (and 4 ex batt hens).

Thanks

mab

HappyHippy

Re: how much land needed for 1 cow
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2011, 01:19:21 pm »
Hiya,
Don't want to disillusion you - but I don't think you've got enough ground :-\
I was always told 1 cow per acre, and really 1 on her own would be lonely :'( I know Dexters are smaller, but still need grass, you've got a couple of sheep as well, so might hit problems down the line.
Unless you can get your hands on some more land I wouldn't advise it - but others might disagree. Why not split your land and get some  :pig: :pig: :pig: or geese or expand on your sheep flock ?
Sorry !
HTH
Karen

manian

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2011, 03:40:56 pm »
hi
i've been told i per acre also...so agree with HH
Mx

ferdi

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Devon
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2011, 05:49:26 pm »

Hi There
        The amount of land you need really depends on how you plan to look after your cow over the winter months and what shelter you have.
 1 acre per cow is a low estimate and relies on the cow being off the grass in winter and fed bought in hay or silage. If you plan to feed your cow mostly
on grass then the average cow needs at least 3 acres ( this would be a bit less for a dexter). Your type of land will also have a lot to do with it, if its heavy clay then
a cow can poach it very quickley in wet weather. Also I agree with above that keeping one cow on its own isnt really best practice so you would really need
enough grazing for cow and calf.
  Hope this helps

mab

• Joined Mar 2009
  • carmarthenshire
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2011, 01:07:23 pm »
Thanks for the replies,

Two cows per acre did seem like a lot to me, but thought I'd check. There's a Dexter cow out this way looking for a new home (apparently been living with pigs); and I'd like a cow, but I'm not sure I want to feed one entirely on bought in feed through the winter.

Oh well; just have to look for something a bit smaller... (or find some more land...  ;) )

mab

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS