Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: newbie  (Read 3782 times)

jent1964

• Joined Feb 2011
« on: February 14, 2011, 12:06:46 pm »
Hi my name is jenny, just started out with keeping pigs, we have a goat, and 2 shetland sheep, i have horses and just took in 2 rescue foals. My husband is a contract farmer, and wanted to do a bit of his own animal keeping.

we have just got a german micro pigx potbellie gilt, age 12 weeks, and a small GOS x small not sure what breed bore, hoping to keep them together for a few weeks but they just fight!!!! tried the water thing, has anyone any advise for us........

CameronS

• Joined Aug 2009
  • North East Fife
Re: newbie
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2011, 05:42:45 pm »
Welcome from fife   :wave: :wave:

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2011, 05:58:47 pm »
Hi and welcome.  If they are fairly evenly matched and aren't killing each other let them be for now, but keep an eye on them.  Have just gone through much the same with our "baby" and a new companion for him.  Despite being half his size she bullies him.  Yet tonight they are cuddled up in deep straw grunting companionably.  They have to establish a pecking order.

faith0504

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Cairngorms
  • take it easy and chill
    • blaemuir cottage
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2011, 06:00:45 pm »
hi and welcome from moray  :wave:

jent1964

• Joined Feb 2011
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2011, 06:33:45 pm »
they have been bitting at each other, the male just keeps going at her, we have cut ears so i parted them again, do you think i should just leave them and let them sort it out, hes only 10 weeks,and shes 12 weeks......

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2011, 07:59:16 am »
If you can separate them say with an electric fence so that they can see and smell each other but not bite. 

jent1964

• Joined Feb 2011
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2011, 08:10:00 am »
thanks i will do that, do you think they will go together after a while! its funny that they go crazy to get to each other and then fight!! lol

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2011, 08:21:14 am »
That's teenagers for you  ;D

Welcome from sunny  ;D Carnoustie  :wave:

robert waddell

« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2011, 11:15:11 am »
if it is head bitting that is them sorting out the pecking order
if it is tail or rear end bitting that is full on war

jent1964

• Joined Feb 2011
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2011, 12:38:32 pm »
thanks for all the advice , ye its head biting! put them out either side of a fence this morning ( frankie and mable ) after 20 min of fence bashing, and trying to bit each other, they both went off and done there own thing............maybe there starting to like each other!!! 8)

HappyHippy

« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2011, 01:04:53 pm »
Hello from me in South Lanarkshire  :wave:
Welcome to the forum, and the mad, mad world of pig keeping  ;D They'll sort themselves out, only really need worry if it's bottom biting as Lillian says  ;)
Whereabouts are you ?
Karen x

jent1964

• Joined Feb 2011
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2011, 06:43:41 pm »
im in camerton just out side of Bath in somerset, my thing is horses really had them for 21 years, but love pigs, had a potbellie for years, a long time ago, now in a postion to own pigs again. got frankie the other day, hes really small his mum is a micro bought a gilt mabel, thought as still young would hit it off but oh no, at each other all the time!!

Cinderhills

• Joined Jul 2010
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2011, 06:49:35 pm »
Hi and welcome from North Yorkshire.  :wave:  Have you thought about getting another goat for company? We rescued one and he was in with sheep for a year.  We decided he should have company of his own sort and just loved it.  He was the boss though obviously.  :goat:

jent1964

• Joined Feb 2011
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2011, 11:50:16 am »
my goat was with another when we got her, and she was bullied all the time, since we rehomed the other goat, she has thrived, and everyone aid how much happier she is, she loves the sheep, curlesup with them to sleep, so we decided to not get another at the moment, if she was unhappy would def get a freind for her.... :)

darkbrowneggs

• Joined Aug 2010
    • The World is My Lobster
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2011, 12:27:54 pm »
Hi and welcome from Sue in Worcestershire.  There are lots of knowledgeable people on here.  You will enjoy it    :wave:

Sue
To follow my travel journal see http://www.theworldismylobster.org.uk

For lots of info about Marans and how to breed and look after them see www.darkbrowneggs.info

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS