Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Nanny Goats  (Read 8349 times)

ambriel

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Kinlochbervie, NW Sutherland, Scotland
  • Mad, bad, and dangerous to know!
    • Harbour Cottage
Nanny Goats
« on: February 13, 2011, 10:49:14 pm »

We currently have three Kune Kune pigs and some hens. I've been thinking about adding a nanny goat as a source of fresh milk but am concerned as I've heard they're consumate escape artists and I wouldn't want it to get out or into the neighbours' gardens.

Are mature nannies bad for it, or are some breeds better or worse than others?

How do they get on with sharing space with pigs and hens?

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
Re: Nanny Goats
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2011, 11:03:29 am »
I'm no expert, having only kept goats for just under a year but I would say some goats are better at escaping than others. My milking goat never used to bother escaping but the 3 kids/goatlings did.  Currently I have 2 goatlings kept within about 3/4 acre surrounded by electric strip fencing/sheep netting/stock fencing. the combo of the 3 works for us.
My chickens regularly have a wander in the goat paddock and clear up spilt goat food but chicken food is toxic to goats so you would need to consider where to feed the hens.
Goats are herd animals so need company, preferably of their own kind, not good on their own.
one of ours did escape and had a mouth ful of (we believe) rhodedendrun from a neighbours garden, within a couple of days he had died (leaving us a vet bill of over £200) so its worth making sure your land has nothing toxic to goats and that your fencing is secure. They also need good shelter.
Lisa
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

ambriel

• Joined Jan 2011
    • Harbour Cottage
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2011, 12:07:53 pm »
Thanks Lisa, that's useful advice. I'll need to do a lot more reading-up on them.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2011, 05:36:03 pm »
Your local library will have a number of books on goatkeeping, although they may still date from the heydays of "The good life"... Look through the back posts in this section, and you will have a much better idea.

They will need shelter, at least two animals (mother and daughter is a good combo, with them kidding alternate years), good hay and concentrate, lots of raw veg/fruit and green branches in summer (If they are near a hedge that will disappear before your eyes...), but they will love brambles and other weeds - my goat paddock has no thistles or dandelions in it! They are very affactionate animals and will become the favourites (and most expensive to keep) on your holding (unless you have horses). The milk is delicious, but they are a tie, unless you have some relief milker handy, holidays will be a thing of the past.

Also make sure that your local vet is happy to deal with and knowledgeable about goats - not that many are.

Best of luck - if you go for goats, look at other people's set-ups, that was most helpful to me. You can always come and look at mine, I am in the Scottish Borders. Not sure where you are based.

ambriel

• Joined Jan 2011
    • Harbour Cottage
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2011, 06:30:45 pm »

We're in Kinlochbervie, NW Sutherland. No idea where my nearest library is but it certainly won't be local.

I know what you mean about holidays. Can't remember the last one.

princesspiggy

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2011, 07:17:40 pm »
chicken food is toxic to goats
is it really didnt realise that. why

our gg was capable of jumping but seldom did, only to follow her friend who was smaller and more nimble. i would think pairs are better than a single. ours were free range amongst hens and also pigs, never had any problems, i expect this would depend if they wer competing for food in an enclosed area. if you could give the goats a higher resting point that the pigs couldnt reach, that would be good.
we never mated our gg but she had milk for 4 years or so. a nice gentle loving breed.

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2011, 07:22:12 pm »
Hello  :wave:

Goats get on fine with chickens- even if the chickens live in the goat shed/barn. Though if they do that, the goats might get popped on by the chickens depending where they roost! Had chickens that roost on the goats back.

Pigs, they tend not to get on as well with. Goats don't do well on muddy ground, so if they are sharing a bit of a field make sure you have an entrance for the goats that the pigs can't get to, so they can't make it really muddy. They don't have any great dislike of each other, so if you were thinking say of them having one side of a shed each, and it's partitioned off it should be ok.

We don't really have any issue's with the goats escaping (maybe ours are stupid!) but standard stock fencing with a strand of plain wire on top keeps them in fine.

We are in Central Scotland (Falkirk- ish) if you can manage to get here you would be welcome to have a look round.

Beth

Cinderhills

• Joined Jul 2010
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2011, 08:33:20 pm »
I didn't know that about chicken food being toxic to goats either.  Good to know.  Just remembered that one of mine got into the turkey house and ate their food once.  I guess I was lucky and managed to chase her away before she ate too much.

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2011, 07:49:46 am »
If I recall correctly, its to do with their being high levels of iron in the layers pellets that cause harm to the goat (but there is always the chance that I have dreamt the whole thing lol!!) am sure I read this somewhere though  :)
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

divanp75

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Caithness
    • Scotshaven
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2011, 09:57:06 am »
There is a lady @ bettyhill that keeps goats that I could possibly put u in contact with.  But all the people I know up here tend to keep herds of goats. 

Dont think any of my ones would like to be with out another goat so would think you would really need two.

Diane

jent1964

• Joined Feb 2011
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2011, 06:46:45 pm »
Hi i have a alpine nanny she lives with my 2 sheep and 2 foals, all get on great, i use electric fencing seems to work well.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2011, 08:27:16 pm »
Surely there must be a library bus coming round your hamlet/village? We are rural here in the Borders, and you can order books through the library bus/internet. I thought that the more remote communities will have a set up like this?

But - here are a few recommendations, that you could easily order through abebooks.co.uk (secondhand):

Storey's guide to raising Diary goats (2001 edition) Jerry Belanger
The New Goat handbook (Barron's, ed 1989), U Jaudas - very good, but rare

One UK goatkeeper has recently written a short introduction - you can buy through him/his website. Google Penborn goats, Pete Oldfield, it's basic but good.

For more detail there is always MacKenzie's "Goat husbandry", 5th ediiton, 1993) - this is a book for when you are serious about breeding, and quite scientific.

Hope this helps - I would love to live in your part of the world, but it's kind of out of commuting distance to Edinburgh....

We're in Kinlochbervie, NW Sutherland. No idea where my nearest library is but it certainly won't be local.

I know what you mean about holidays. Can't remember the last one.

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2011, 10:52:53 pm »
My goats get on fine with then hens, sheep, llama, and ponies.  The young goats live next door to the two piglets.

As to escaping, well, some of mine I can recall as being good at climbing, or getting under fences.  The Franks, who are three enormous British Toggenburg goats, can jump normal height fencing ......they just seen hell bent on getting out.  Their last owner had the same problem.   And our white sanaan billy who is nowhere near as big, can get over a field gate if the fancy takes him.

I have found though,that on the whole, if the goats have company, and plenty of food ,l and adequate fencing, they will stay put.

Its important to remember though, that goats are browsers not grazers, and would prefer bushes and trees to grass.  I do think thats why they tend to escape into gardens and eat shrubs!

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2011, 09:42:40 pm »

I have found though,that on the whole, if the goats have company, and plenty of food ,l and adequate fencing, they will stay put.

Absolutely would agree with that!

Anke- have you met Pete Oldfield?

Beth

Brucklay

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Perthshire
    • Brucklay Pygmy Goats
    • Facebook
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2011, 10:01:56 pm »
I agree too - ours are in a wee field surrounded by sheep fields and never sem to have any inclination to go out of their area - even if the gates left open - so I guess nothing looks great as far as their eyes can see
Pygmy Goats, Shetland Sheep, Zip & Indie the Border Collies, BeeBee the cat and a wreak of a building to renovate!!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS