Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: New member in Scotland  (Read 7111 times)

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
Re: New member in Scotland
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2011, 09:53:49 pm »
Hi Karen  :wave: :wave: :wave:

Yeh, SoS is growing up to be a lovely boy, his best pal is Dudley (the castrated brother of Portia) it's soooo cute to see them at feed time - the tribe is free-running in their byre over the winter with open access to their paddock (mudpatch!).  We have left the old feeding troughs in the cow stalls, so they all have one each, the girls are very possessive of theirs, but SoS & Duds insist on sharing theirs - sweet  :pig: :pig:.  

We hope to get Portia across to you soon, but having the new lot has thrown us a bit - we ended up with some extras, so emergency pen construction in the other byre has been a priority, especially as one of the new gilts could be in pig - so we may have the sound of little trotters sooner than we had planned this year - but hey, at least the farrowing pens are done now!.  Lots to tell, will have to email you.

:pig:X :pig:
Tunkey Herd - registered Kune Kune & rare breed poultry - www.tunkeyherdkunekune.com

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2011, 10:06:23 pm »
Hi Beth  :wave:,

Interested to hear you've got dairy goats - not heard of many in sunny Scotland, though I bet your  :&> :&> :&> are loving the weather!

Do you make any products from your herd - just asking, as we love goats cheeses  :yum: & there doesn't appear to be many farn shops over this way?
Tunkey Herd - registered Kune Kune & rare breed poultry - www.tunkeyherdkunekune.com

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2011, 10:22:52 pm »
Hi Rosemary  :wave:

Sorry, had to Google Carnougie - I'd not heard of it before :dunce:.    The weather's definately been a bit of an East/West see-saw split - just can't seem to get the hang of dry AND warm anywhere at the moment.  I was really excited when I got to hang some washing out the other day & heard my bees out for the 1st time this year, but the poor things have been hive-bound again for the last few days - it did stop raining for a few hours this afternoon, but it was too cold for them to venture out. 
Just wish we could get a few dry (& warm days) soon, so we can get the new pig arcs constructed so the pigs can go across to their field - bet they've forgotten what it's like to feel grass under their trotters, poor things turned their paddock into a mudbath before Christmas. 
:pig:  :chook: :dog: :bee:

darkbrowneggs

• Joined Aug 2010
    • The World is My Lobster
« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2011, 12:14:07 am »
Hi there and welcome from another newcomer.

I am miles further south than you, but the old name of my house meant wind hill, and it was well named.  I wanted a polytunnel and after research also went for Northern and it has been very good.  Put up without professional help nearly 20 years ago.  No concreting etc.  It has had 3 covers in that time, but really only though mistakes. 

The first one I didn't use hot tape, and also used binder twine to tie thinks to the supports which damaged the cover.  The second one I thought a builder would do a good job, but it was a loose as an old carrier bag and damaged quickly.  This one has been on for around 5 years, and looks to have a good few years left. 

I got the replacement cover from LBS who are very helpful

All the best
Sue
Dark Brown Eggs
To follow my travel journal see http://www.theworldismylobster.org.uk

For lots of info about Marans and how to breed and look after them see www.darkbrowneggs.info

HappyHippy

« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2011, 10:35:50 am »
Yeh, SoS is growing up to be a lovely boy, his best pal is Dudley (the castrated brother of Portia) it's soooo cute to see them at feed time - the tribe is free-running in their byre over the winter with open access to their paddock (mudpatch!).  We have left the old feeding troughs in the cow stalls, so they all have one each, the girls are very possessive of theirs, but SoS & Duds insist on sharing theirs - sweet  :pig: :pig:.  
I'm gobsmacked  :o :D
Have never heard of 2 unrelated boars sharing happily - really, never in my life ! Even my little newly weaned boys wouldn't tolerate Red when we put him in - there was ear biting and fighting even at a very young age :-\ The fact that they're sharing happily (and the best of friends) is unheard of I'd say, but if it works - why not ? I think it's lovely :love: But you might find you need to seperate them when SoS starts 'working' - just watch them and see how it goes ;)
Don't panic about Portia  ;) ;D We're the same as you guys - franticly fencing & arc building - so whenever you're sorted just give us a shout.
Take care & see you soon,
Karen x

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2011, 07:31:30 pm »
Hi Beth  :wave:,

Interested to hear you've got dairy goats - not heard of many in sunny Scotland, though I bet your  :&> :&> :&> are loving the weather!

Do you make any products from your herd - just asking, as we love goats cheeses  :yum: & there doesn't appear to be many farn shops over this way?

There are a few breeders in Scotland- but not many of us any more  :( The people who keep goats tend to fall into one of two brackets (either they breed and show, and register their goats, or they keep a few for the smallholding, and don't register them). There are few enough of either, and sadly, the two don't cross over easily as those for show need to keep the health status of their goats up, and therefore cannot provide stud services for the general smallholder etc.

We sometimes make cheese, but not very often, Tend to make butter and soap more often, but don't sell any!

Beth

Sandy

« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2011, 07:32:51 pm »
Hello from Clackmannan :wave:did I already say hello?never mind, hello again :wave:

ukag0972

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Argyll
« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2011, 08:08:01 pm »
Hi from a slushy Argyll! x

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #23 on: February 15, 2011, 01:37:28 pm »
heloooo from Deeside in Aberdeenshire!! :wave: :wave: :wave:

ambriel

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Kinlochbervie, NW Sutherland, Scotland
  • Mad, bad, and dangerous to know!
    • Harbour Cottage
« Reply #24 on: February 15, 2011, 02:32:03 pm »
Hello from  gorgeously sunny Kinlochbervie!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS