Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Wood shavings.......good or bad in compost?  (Read 25753 times)

Hardfeather

Wood shavings.......good or bad in compost?
« on: December 09, 2008, 09:50:55 am »
The gardener/handyman at work told me that shavings use nitrogen as they break down.

Can anyone explain this to me, and what the implications are of composting waste containing shavings from the hen runs.

At the moment I only use hen waste from birds kept on straw and I dump the shavings stuff, but it seems such a waste.

rustyme

Re: Wood shavings.......good or bad in compost?
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2008, 01:17:23 pm »
hello,
      wood shavings/sawdust do rob the soil of nitrogen if just added fresh . But they are perfectly ok to use in a compost heap ,depending on how much you have . The thing with shavings/sawdust is that it takes a long time to rot down and will use available nitrogen during that time making it unavailable for plants . The way round it is to mix it with animal manure (chicken manure is ideal ) and plenty of stuff rich in nitrogen ie grass cuttings, comfrey leaves, stinging nettles or any green veggie type stuff. As with any compost keep things even and well mixed, this will make the best compost .If there is a high shaving mix it will take longer to rot down , but it will rot . You can also add plenty of urine to it as well . If the shavings are quite dry soak them with a 20-1 mix of wee and water . The wee can be any type human or whatever...lol but I have heard tell that mens wee after they have been to the pub is best ...Wee is a very good activator for any compost heap . Hope that helps a bit ....

cheers
Russ

Hardfeather

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2008, 06:59:38 pm »
Thanks Russ..........that clarifies it for me.  :)

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2008, 08:13:54 pm »
We used to use sahvings for the hens but started using Hemcore a couple of years ago, because it composts in 6-8 weeks. It's not cheap but it's very absorbent and "ecofriendly" as it's a byproduct of the paper industry and hemp isn't grown intensively anyway.

Hardfeather

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2008, 06:59:45 am »
I'd prefer not to use shavings, so I'll look into that, Rosemary, thanks.  :)

Elyssian

• Joined Jan 2009
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2009, 04:39:33 pm »
We use the hemp stuff for the hens. It's a little more expensive than shavings, but rots down so much better. Also it seems to be more absorbent - the droppings sort of disappear into it a little better than with shavings, so you do use less and end up spending about the same in the long run. We do still use shavings for the rabbit, who didn't take well to the hemp. This is easy as rabbits tend to use the same place every time, so you can just put the shavings which contain the droppings into the compost bin and put the remainder in a heap where they will rot down more slowly. I suppose you could do something similar with hens by only composting the shavings from directly beneath the roosts.

pikilily

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Do what you enjoy; And enjoy what you do!!
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2009, 05:57:56 pm »
where could I get hemp? cheers
Emma
If you don't have a dream; how you gonna have a dream come true?

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2009, 08:25:35 pm »
We get ours from WCF is Stirling but try Hemcore the manufacturer - they might be able to give you a list of stockists.

pikilily

• Joined Jan 2009
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2009, 05:44:45 pm »
thnaks Ill give them a try
Emma

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2009, 11:27:41 am »
I stopped using shavings after I was told that chicks can mistake them for food and die from eating them.

Wellieboots

« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2009, 01:43:05 pm »
Hempcore is good stuff, McCash's Country Store in Perth also stocks it. There are some commercial farmers around the UK who produce hemp for rope, paper, clothing etc. (without the THC booo!!!) so although you are buying a by-product it is a good choice. It is also treated with citronella (helps to repel mozzies in hot places) which is a good natural plant insecticide (abet a very mild one) so is a good choice all round.

It is around £12 for a large compressed bag (think old style hay bale size roughly but very well compressed and vacuum packed). It is ace in compost rather than shavings etc. (which chooks will eat if small enough in size) and can be fired onto the ground as a mulch fairly quickly after composting. So my chooks are also helping my apple, cherry, pear & plum trees as well - huzzah all round for self sufficiency ;D

pikilily

• Joined Jan 2009
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2009, 07:59:52 pm »
thanks mccash it is then, ill be in soon
cheers emma

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2009, 11:23:50 pm »
Lol this forum is such a small place- my best friend works in McCash's in Perth!

Beth

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS