Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: HI we are Mark and Bev from Norfolk HEELLLLLPPPPPPP  (Read 5540 times)

mnb

• Joined Feb 2011
HI we are Mark and Bev from Norfolk HEELLLLLPPPPPPP
« on: February 11, 2011, 06:23:23 pm »
Hi all

We are new to all this and we have decided to sell up, and try to go self sufficient, my self a IT tech and Bev an ex midwife  we have just had it with the rat race.
If there is any advice anyone could give us we would be very thankful.

We have chickens and goats but these are part of the family, we know where we want to be, but just don't know where to start .

One main question we have, would it be better to rent or buy land  to get started, we are really ready to give up our house for a caravan in the hope of in the future building a straw bale house.

We grow the odd veg in our garden, and enjoy it.
The kids are leaving home this coming September and we are ready for a life style change.

Please throw at us your thoughts as we have a lot of dreams with out a path to lead us there.

Frieslandfilly

• Joined Apr 2009
Re: HI we are Mark and Bev from Norfolk HEELLLLLPPPPPPP
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2011, 06:29:21 pm »
Well I would go for the buying option if you can, there would be nothing more cruel than to rent somewhere, get it up and running and then have to leave! And definitely go for it  ;D, good luck

faith0504

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Cairngorms
  • take it easy and chill
    • blaemuir cottage
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2011, 07:05:09 pm »
hi and welcome from moray, advice would be look and look and look some more and your dream property will find you and live that dream, we did and we love it, no going back for us,  :wave:

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2011, 07:14:06 pm »
hello and welcome :)
what sort (breed!) of goats do you have?
Little Blue

mnb

• Joined Feb 2011
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2011, 07:29:27 pm »
We have a pygmy goat called Alice she is a lovely little girl aged 2 the only problem is she thinks she is a staffi as she spends most of here time with our two, this is some times a major problem as if she cant eat it, usually Tizzy our 2yr old deaf staffi will destroy it first then she hides the evidence by eating it, Team work at its best.

HappyHippy

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2011, 07:29:50 pm »
Hello and welcome to the forum  :wave:
I'd say buy too - but if there's no house or plannning permission on the site be careful :-\ It's easy to assume you'll get the permission, but sadly not always the case. And buy as much land as you can afford at the start rather than try to add to it later.
But go for it ! You're only here the once and you should do what makes you happy.
Karen  :pig: ;D :pig: ;D :pig:

silver swan

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Scotland
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2011, 07:35:09 pm »
for what it's worth and I fully appreciate that MANY roads lead to Rome.

We used to live in Berkshire and wanted to move to Scotland. Originally we were looking at Aberdeenshire but decided Moray suited us more.

1) We got the estate agents round and asked how to get MAX value from the house (redecorating/getting rid of naff conservatory/new carpets etc etc), followed their advice and put it on the market beginning March. Even though it was an ex-council house (and looked it) managed to sell it within 6 days.
2) Rented property in Moray whilst looking for the 'right place'. Took just under two years but now have a lovely home (almost as good as Dan and Rosemary's - that's a thought, buy theirs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I would!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

Guess the message here is sell first then you are in a better position to offer on the new place and have already 'let go' of the past. As the saying goes; good things come to those who wait. BUT are also clear of intent and have faith.

Ha, was posting this and Faith0504 got in there first. The small holding fairies have something to say perhaps!!??

Write a 'wish list' being clear what you would (realistically) like. Stick to it. Fuzzy thinking/changing mind may delay the arrival of your wishes.

I really hope you fulfill your goals. Please keep us posted.  :farmer: :bouquet: :goat: :chook: :brocolli:

The Woodsiders

• Joined Aug 2011
  • Near Horley in Surrey
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2011, 08:52:08 pm »
Hi and welcome from a wet West Sussex, just wondered from your post do the kids know yet that they are leaving in September?????????  good luck

mnb

• Joined Feb 2011
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2011, 09:12:51 pm »
We are hinting every day and praying for UNI acceptance LOL

darkbrowneggs

• Joined Aug 2010
    • The World is My Lobster
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2011, 09:26:49 pm »
Welcome and all the very best in your life style change - Live the Dream ;D

Sue
Dark Brown Eggs
To follow my travel journal see http://www.theworldismylobster.org.uk

For lots of info about Marans and how to breed and look after them see www.darkbrowneggs.info

Brucklay

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Perthshire
    • Brucklay Pygmy Goats
    • Facebook
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2011, 10:14:09 pm »
we started in Perthshire - sold up and rented in Perthshire while looking but our circle got bigger and bigger and we stuck out for what we hopped for and ended up with 3 stone walls and 5 acres in Aberdeenshire. Don't regret a minute of the past 3/4 years building/caravans/goats/goats eating caravan insulaton/ducks/ducks in the caravan/hatching eggs/ kidding/building/building more/changing things/buying sheep ... life is a challenge and is just great - best of luck to you both
Pygmy Goats, Shetland Sheep, Zip & Indie the Border Collies, BeeBee the cat and a wreak of a building to renovate!!

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2011, 11:28:09 pm »
Agree about buying - if you rent between selling and buying don't do it for more than a few months or you'll fall off the property ladder - the prices are scheduled to start creeping up again later this year.  Best of luck and yes, Dan and Rosemary's place is lovely but only just over an acre I think. If that's enough fro yuo then it's worthwhile looking at it.  I love it, and if I thought I could sell mine I'd buy it.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2011, 09:07:37 am »
Our house is coming off the sale market and going for let until May 2012 at least - maybe you'd like to try it Mark and Bev.  ;D

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2011, 10:35:58 am »
Spend whatever time you have between now and moving reading everything on here, read as many books as you can on self sufficiency, and if at all possible go on courses for every type of bird, animal, skill you may possibly utilise.  It could save you expensive mistakes finding cows are not for you, or that you hate milking goats etc. 

Good luck, be warned pigs are very addictive.

boiow

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2011, 09:33:59 pm »
better sell soon because houses are going down in real terms and will be for years yet.  the fieldtofarm forum has good advice to get you started.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS