Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: i was told they were both girls, my ducks!!! are making us blush  (Read 4056 times)

faith0504

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Cairngorms
  • take it easy and chill
    • blaemuir cottage
i was told they were both girls, my ducks!!! are making us blush
« on: February 11, 2011, 11:32:06 am »
well we have had our two ducks, mavis and matilda for a few weeks, i was told they were elderly and both females!! :-[ well today i looked out to see matilda on top of mavis doing what can only be described as "full on s**".

questions are,

will they do such things even if they are both females? if not and i have a male and a female how long will it be before she starts laying and hopefully sitting?

i have no experience of duck related baby making activities, any help or advice would be great

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: i was told they were both girls, my ducks!!! are making us blush
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2011, 01:55:50 pm »
Yes, is the short answer, ducks will start laying from about the end of February - sometimes earlier.  If they 'quack' they are female, if they squeak they are male - youngsters are difficult to tell apart, but if these are mature their voices should tell you what sex they are.  If you have one of each and want to hatch their eggs be careful as they may be brother and sister, you could get deformed chicks, and ducks are not known for being good parents.  Personally, I'd eat the eggs and buy in young females.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

faith0504

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Cairngorms
  • take it easy and chill
    • blaemuir cottage
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2011, 02:02:23 pm »
thanks doganjo

mavis is an indian runner, matilda is an alysebury going to have to change names i think!!!

adamhfc

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2011, 02:53:13 pm »
you could always vent esx them i used to do the ducklings at a week old

Brucklay

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Perthshire
    • Brucklay Pygmy Goats
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2011, 03:25:07 pm »
we find our call ducks very good parents!! maybe their odd - Fudge had 13 ducklings, they would hardly fit under her!!
Pygmy Goats, Shetland Sheep, Zip & Indie the Border Collies, BeeBee the cat and a wreak of a building to renovate!!

faith0504

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Cairngorms
  • take it easy and chill
    • blaemuir cottage
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2011, 03:26:16 pm »
oh they are lovely what a cracker picture  :wave:

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2011, 05:38:07 pm »
thanks doganjo

mavis is an indian runner, matilda is an alysebury going to have to change names i think!!!

OK, have you heard either or both actually quacking - it's quite distinctive, mine get louder when they are angry - if a dog dares to go by their run or I am late with their tea  ;D  If they both do, then you have need of a drake as one of your girls is dominating the other, doesn't matter which breed, unless you want to breed them.  But as I said, I'd be inclined to buy more females if one is a drake, and even if you also buy a drake.  I don't know about other breeds but the recommended rate for Khaki Campbells is 10 females to  one drake. (they are a very sexy breed!)
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

faith0504

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Cairngorms
  • take it easy and chill
    • blaemuir cottage
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2011, 06:03:50 pm »
my lord the randy little devils, thanks for that will keep an eye on them the alysebury does quack, a propa duck quack, the runner makes a funny sound, i am really taken by them, love watching them, thank you

Frieslandfilly

• Joined Apr 2009
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2011, 06:32:23 pm »
If they are male they should have a little sex feather, it is a small curl just before the tail starts, my ducks go at each other no matter what sex each other is!!

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2011, 07:17:07 pm »
 ;D
we've just eaten our randy young cockerel, as he was squashing the baby girls!
  what will you call him? 
;)
Little Blue

faith0504

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Cairngorms
  • take it easy and chill
    • blaemuir cottage
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2011, 02:13:39 pm »
randy roger i think springs to mind,  ::)

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2011, 12:45:29 pm »
Quote from: doganjo
I don't know about other breeds but the recommended rate for Khaki Campbells is 10 females to  one drake.

Ooops!  I'm currently looking for a trio or similar of indian runners. Would that be ok, or would the girls end up exhausted?  ;D
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2011, 05:19:10 pm »
Quote from: doganjo
I don't know about other breeds but the recommended rate for Khaki Campbells is 10 females to  one drake.

Ooops!  I'm currently looking for a trio or similar of indian runners. Would that be ok, or would the girls end up exhausted?  ;D
No idea David, why don't you ask the breeder or look on one of the breed websites.  They should be able to tell you the normal rate.  Maybe trios are OK in other breeds, it's just that KCs are randy bu99ers

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2011, 05:22:44 pm »
Womble, we have a ratio of 6/1 and it seems fair enough on the girls.

will they do such things even if they are both females?

[/quote]
faith, yes, they do! Not really full on sex but they do seem to establish their pecking order through jumping each other in spring. Not sure what details exactly you observed  ;D The springy tailfeather always seemed to be the best indicator for boys if you rather looked away  ;D and of course the amount of eggs you get each morning!  ;D   :&>

faith0504

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Cairngorms
  • take it easy and chill
    • blaemuir cottage
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2011, 05:59:43 pm »
hi northfifeduckling

that makes alot of sense, they were both in the pond, and the alyesbury was on top of the indian runner and she!! had hold of the indian runner by the scruff of her neck it lasted about 5 mins then she!! jumped off and they both had a wash, the alyesbury is the boss, but they do get on very well together best of pals, they do everything together.

i am getting the duck bug, i would love some more, they are great.

thanks so much 

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS