Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Is There A Market For Rabbit Meat?  (Read 35890 times)

Riggy

• Joined Sep 2010
Is There A Market For Rabbit Meat?
« on: February 10, 2011, 07:58:08 pm »
Does anyone successfully sell rabbit carcases, if so how do you market (via game dealer?).

Riggy

• Joined Sep 2010
Re: Is There A Market For Rabbit Meat?
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2011, 08:09:14 pm »
I guess that'll be a no then! ;D

kingstuart0

• Joined Jan 2011
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2011, 10:17:52 pm »
lol was watching this as wanted to start selling to :) have you got rabbits ??

garden cottage

• Joined Sep 2008
  • forest of dean
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2011, 10:24:59 pm »
my parents had a crack at this many years ago, think it was new zealand breed? got all the cages and everything but just couldnt get the market for the meat so discontinued, is it feasible just for meat yourselves? as everthing it will depend on feed costs good luck.............. ::)

Riggy

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2011, 08:19:59 pm »
lol was watching this as wanted to start selling to :) have you got rabbits ??

No, I was thinking of getting some, was being the operative word! ;D

cmorrell

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Kirkintilloch, NE of Glasgow
    • Calum Morrell Photography
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2011, 04:19:02 pm »
There does seem to be a market (assuming you're in the UK), but not a large one in my area. If I were to breed rabbits for meat, I would be finding out which local restaurants and butchers currently have rabbit available - where they get it - how much it costs them - what they would be looking for (cost and quality) to change supplier. It would be quite a lot of work to get the information together to build a decent business plan, but at least you'd go into it knowing the likely outcome rather than spend money and time and end up with no buyers.

princesspiggy

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2011, 08:31:58 pm »
must be a market in some way, last time i went to a restaurant i had rabbit pie and it was so good. maybe it was wild rabbit?

loosey

• Joined May 2010
  • Cornwall
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2011, 04:15:11 pm »
Most of what everyone sells is wild rabbit. I know that some game dealers buy them but only for £1 a carcass, guts out, fur on, frozen.

Most butchers can't shift it either ... I love rabbit if it's cooked right! Good job we get it for free! ;D :yum:

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2011, 09:04:11 pm »
whats the rules about slaughter ect for domestic rabbit.

cmorrell

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Kirkintilloch, NE of Glasgow
    • Calum Morrell Photography
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2011, 11:56:49 pm »
Convince the pet shop the rabbits you keep buying from them are just incredibly unlucky.

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2011, 08:59:27 pm »
Just come across this thread tonight - oh dear  ???

We were thinking of keeping a few meat rabbits on our smallholding & hadn't got past the thinking stage.  We are 18 miles west of Glasgow & fairly new to the area - anyone else local doing this that can either give us some pointers or genuinely put us off as this being a bad idea?

:pig: :dog: :bee: :chook:
Tunkey Herd - registered Kune Kune & rare breed poultry - www.tunkeyherdkunekune.com

Budo1

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2011, 10:26:05 am »
The market is there but and it is a big but..if you are selling carasses then there is a lot of red tape and health and hygen you must conform to before being able to sell to butchers, resturants and the like. It isnt easy, believe me we have been going through all this for the last 5 months.
anyone need help, contact and will help where i can.

princesspiggy

« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2011, 06:05:23 pm »
we did our own skins too, came out really well for minimum effort.
does anyone use the metal poultry dispatchers that screw to wall with a lever? i think the official best method is ringing the neck but it gets harder when theyre older.
less hard work to dress than a chicken tho.

Plantoid

• Joined May 2011
  • Yorkshireman on a hill in wet South Wales
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2011, 12:43:19 pm »

I seem to think that nowadays you'll still need a poultry slaughter licence & various  local authority permissions / licences and examinations , a special designed clean & dirty through flow  despatching & gutting building . a room for the man from the ministry c/w telephone  & his own toilet facility  .It is an expensive set up.

Watch out for ALF's , UFAW ( they frequently lurk on  sites like this ) and the like , as well as the RSPCA trying their hand at getting access to your premises. 

At one time some guys had set up a mobile processing plant  that you hired .. I can't seem to recall it being used much past the first two weeks as it was not cost effective.

I strongly caution , don't bother in doing commercial rabbits in the UK.
As far as I know there is now only one processor  near Reevesby . Lincolnshire ( Woldsway foods ??? ) .. They would never enter into a supply contract  but always wanted your stock on their terms , people were frequently being eaten out of house and home when he suddenly said I don't need any rabbits this week .
Plus there were massive problem of live stock care and cariage to the slaughter house/ processing plant .. the rabbits could easily lose 6 ounces each on their final  journey  due to stress and dehydration ..you were paid on dress out weight or live weight at the procesing plant not live weight collected at your premises..

One of my associates  was finding they were was losing over 40kg  per collection .

The renumeration cheques were like lumpy diarrohea ..they arrived in fits and starts  :o 

Dont be led into being asked can I use you as a " Multiplier stock breeding unit "  either for you'll end up with thousands of rabbits that are supposed to be  saleable breeding stock and having to feed them at your own expense or cull them for the  cat and dog food processors .

From my own experiences the only people to make long term money out of commercial rabbits in the UK are the equipment suppliers .
getting the rabbit to market at the correct weight  with the best food conversion rate is a knife edge balancing act . Once the rabbit reaches  the correct stage it needs to be sold PDQ or it starts eating you out of house and home .... now multiply that cost by say 500 or more rabbits every day .

I think our  detailed figure for costings were  10 week old  NZ hybrids  were the target  weight & profitable cost  after that the feed costs went up in squares every 15 days till it was 18 weeks old .
International playboy & liar .
Man of the world not a country

Hopewell

• Joined Apr 2011
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2011, 03:00:48 pm »
This is something we have thought about, and the answer we came to was to produce what we wanted for our own consumption and not to attempt to scale up to a commercial operation at all.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS