Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: How much hard feed  (Read 8083 times)

The Chicken Lady

• Joined Mar 2008
  • Cheshire
How much hard feed
« on: December 07, 2008, 08:11:51 pm »
I have a highland cow that is in calf. I have bought some 'special cattle mix' How much should I feed her? I also have a calf at foot but she is not interested in the mix but loves hay. How much hay should I be giving them? Up until this week there has still been enough grass so I was not worried about the amount of feed. Infact I only gave it so that they would come to me and I could get used to stroking them but now I feel that I should be feeding more so I would be grateful if anyone could give me an indication.  :)  :cow:
Karen

The Chicken Lady

• Joined Mar 2008
  • Cheshire
Re: How much hard feed
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2008, 10:03:00 am »
Sorry to be a pain but does anyone know how much hard feed I should be giving. I am still waiting for someone to give me advice  :(
Karen

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2008, 10:48:51 am »
Hi, I can understand how frustrating it is waiting for an answer, sorry can't help with cattle feed, but my dog food bags give an indication of quantities on the outside of the bag.  Cattle feed manufacturers ought to do the same I think.  What about your local feed store - can they help maybe?
Sorry, I don't know anything about cattle - hope someone can help you soon
Annie
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

garden cottage

• Joined Sep 2008
  • forest of dean
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2008, 09:29:12 pm »
hi karen, dandanns might be able to help, weve got a dexter in calf were feeding ad lib hay even if there is grass left theres no goodness in it this time of year, they have mineral lick and sugar beet nuts small quantity, replace hay as soon as they eat it............neil

Ash Field Farm

• Joined Apr 2008
  • banbury
  • my girls
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2008, 10:17:47 am »
hey i have one of my aberdean angus in the same situation i was told from the farmer that between 5-10kg a day of a cake mix i thought was a lot i give her about 5 kg evey now an then to giver her a boost but she prefers they hay insted slot of the time i just give them a bit more hay i have only got a few at the mo but between the cow in calf and her calf at foot and the yearling heifer they share a whole convensional bale 

sorri if its a bit vague thought it might be of some use to u

chickens

• Joined Jan 2008
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2008, 12:00:35 pm »
Hi
We have a jersey cow, a freesian, a 9 month charolais and a 7 month male jersey and we give them hay ad lib and mangels - around 60lbs a day, they also have a salt lick.  The vet told us not to give them too much just lots of hay but it worries us as we feel they need more.  Try Jon on the cowcare forum he is really helpful (hope that is okay to put the name of the forum on here?) but he gave us loads of help and advice. 

Hope you find the answer soon.

Nicki

lordlonk

• Joined Jan 2009
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2009, 09:18:56 am »
hi chicken lady - My ex has cows and shes quite a expert on them - im going to askk her this morning about your 2 questions and see what she  says about them . i hope i can have some news for you  later today

lordlonk

• Joined Jan 2009
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2009, 11:08:10 am »
Hello again - i spoke to  my ex and   she said if  it was her  cattle she would just give them hay and maybe some grain like barley-oats etc  and some sugar beet maybe mixed witha bit of water. she thought this about both animals. She said to me as soon as they hay had been eaten time to lay some  more. The mineral  licks they seem to love - They have a few of those. I think looking at other posts that others have already suggested this solution - Good luck again on everything :cow:
« Last Edit: February 03, 2009, 07:54:53 am by lordlonk »

The Chicken Lady

• Joined Mar 2008
  • Cheshire
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2009, 11:13:51 am »
Thanks for you reply. I have been giving them cattle mix, about 3 1/2 Ibs to the cow and 1 1/2 to the calf. I did give them hay but as the weather has been bad for the last few weeks and they need so much I have been buying silage which they really seem to enjoy and there is not really much left. I was told it would be OK for up to two weeks where I am but they seem to stop eating it after about 16-17 days. I have increase the cattle mix this morning as the weather is so bad. They look in good condition so I am tending to play it as I think they need it. I am assured that they are not starving!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have also been giving minerals. I would need advice on the oats and barley - where to buy it from etc. it would proberbly be cheaper than the mix I am giving. Thanks for the advice.  :cow:
Karen

VSS

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Pen Llyn
    • Viable Self Sufficiency.co.uk
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2009, 01:50:07 pm »
If the weather is cold they are more likely to need more hay than more cake - digestion of fibrous stuff generates more heat than digestion of cereals.
The SHEEP Book for Smallholders
Available from the Good Life Press

www.viableselfsufficiency.co.uk

Crofter

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Isle of Lewis
  • We'll get there!
    • Ravenstar
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2009, 10:49:12 pm »
Hi Chicken Lady

We have a shorthorn x angus heifer in calf and she gets silage, beet pulp pellets and rolled barley.  We use the 600mm round silage bales here and one of these lasts her 3 days. She gets 2lb rolled barley and 1lb beet pulp morning and evening. This is keeping her in good condition but not fat.  Make sure any grain you feed is rolled/kibbled as if it is whole a lot of it goes straight through them.  Also I would not be happy feeding silage that was over 7 days opened.
Hope this helps

Dave
Comfortable B&B on a working Croft on the Isle of Lewis. www.Ravenstar.co.uk

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS