Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Goats and Foxes  (Read 13242 times)

chezlouise1980

• Joined Nov 2010
Goats and Foxes
« on: February 10, 2011, 01:54:20 pm »
We have a walled garden that is about 9 foot high, and are researching having a couple of goats in it to help with grass/weeding. Has anyone ever experienced a problem with foxes going near their goats? There have been a few attacks from foxes on the poultry kept nearby, just wondered if they could go for the goats as well.

Thanks in advance

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
Re: Goats and Foxes
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2011, 04:54:54 pm »
Mr Fox paid us a visit a few months ago and started doing that bark/croak noise that they do. it set the goats off, they were bleating and running into the lecky fence, had to shout the fox away. Apart from that I don't think they do much damage to adult goats, I have heard horror stories of what they can do to kids though  :(
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

Mays

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2011, 07:21:32 pm »
I woudlnt want a fox to get at a kid or lamb, but I am sure adults are big enough to see off a fox? Not sure about Pygmy goats though :-\

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2011, 09:27:41 pm »
My two Anglo Nubians lived out with access to a field shelter, all their lives, and there are foxes in their field.  I am sure I read somewhere that if goats were in the field, foxes would not go near poultry ......  I know plenty of people who keep goats out tethered up, and foxes never bother them.  I think in all cases I would be more worried about dogs near my goats than foxes.

clydesdaleclopper

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2011, 12:24:39 pm »
I am sure I read somewhere that if goats were in the field, foxes would not go near poultry

not so I'm afraid  :( We just lost our gander to the fox and the geese were in the field with the goats
Our holding has Anglo Nubian and British Toggenburg goats, Gotland sheep, Franconian Geese, Blue Swedish ducks, a whole load of mongrel hens and two semi-feral children.

jinglejoys

• Joined Jul 2009
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2011, 07:00:13 pm »
  I've lost Goat kids to foxes >:(

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2011, 07:53:39 pm »
  I've lost Goat kids to foxes >:(

:(  very sad.

I know my old neighbours lost several lambs to the fox too and one friend had a siamese cat carried off in front of him, he chased but to no avail.
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2011, 07:13:25 pm »
I wouldn't leave goat kids out alone overnight until they were about 5 or 6 months old. That said we take our kids away from mum at birth so they ddon't have mum to protect them. With mum there they ought to be not too bad.

Beth

jinglejoys

• Joined Jul 2009
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2011, 09:32:02 pm »
Mine were with their mums :(  and when I had pygmies one was taken in mid afternoon in front of me! (Managed to chase it off and it dropped it)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS