Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Forfar Mart  (Read 4105 times)

BlueDaisy

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Grow your own - veg and chooks!
Forfar Mart
« on: February 10, 2011, 09:04:31 am »
I got told last night that Forfar Mart will be holding their first poultry sale on 26th March ;D

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Re: Forfar Mart
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2011, 09:21:28 am »
Ooh, that's Dan's birthday. Wonder what he would like....

BlueDaisy

• Joined Aug 2010
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2011, 11:04:53 am »
 ;D The first thing I said was "That's the Saturday before my birthday!" LOL! Mine's 28th - it's a great excuse when you want to buy stuff!

Floyd

• Joined Dec 2010
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2011, 05:00:20 pm »
Mines the 27th, but and I cant say sadly will be Gibralter at the time :)  Will be at Dingwall though

Hardfeather

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2011, 05:21:34 pm »
About time too.

johnmac

• Joined Dec 2008
  • Perth
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2011, 02:12:00 am »
I might give it a visit... I'm looking for half a dozen new hens in the spring. What's the going rate for a hen?? Or are they all 'show champions' at £50 each?!?

BlueDaisy

• Joined Aug 2010
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2011, 09:02:37 am »
I doubt there will be any show champions there. As for going rate - well that depends on how many other people want the lot you want - and how much they are prepared to bid for it.

We don't have many auctions up here and it's not oftem easy to find a specific breed, so that may push prices up. Having said that I do think Angus folk are particularly reluctant to part with their money ;)

If you check the papers POL hybrids go for between £8 and £12, and POL breeds anything from £20 - £40 depending on breed, breeder, colour/rarity how easy it is to sex the chicks, etc etc.
It will be interesting to say the least.

Hardfeather

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2011, 10:08:32 am »
Thainstone mart are having a new sale on the 19th, the week before Forfar's sale, so it will be interesting to see if that has any impact on the forfar event. It may be that birds bought at Thainstone will be offered for sale at Forfar.

Last May, at the horse sale and stallion parade at Forfar, there were some Irish folk there and they had a truck load of poultry which they'd bought at Thainstone the day before. If Forfar had had a poultry sale that day, I think some of these Thainstone birds may have been sold there. I was offered some, but they weren't for me.

I hope the Forfar sale goes well. It is a more central venue for a lot of people and, now that Perth no longer holds poultry sales, there could be a niche there.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2011, 06:20:18 pm by AengusOg »

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2011, 04:47:48 pm »
I might go for a look but not to buy. No, not to buy. Definitely not to buy.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS