Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Sheep Chair  (Read 15563 times)

Fishyhaddock

• Joined Apr 2009
  • aberdeenshire
Sheep Chair
« on: February 09, 2011, 09:36:33 pm »
Any one out there know where we can purchase a Sheep Chair

Fishyhaddock

• Joined Apr 2009
  • aberdeenshire
Re: Sheep Chair
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2011, 09:43:55 pm »
Whoops - posted this one too early! As i was saying .... we have read that sheep chairs exist - similar to a deck chair - which you position the sheep in leaving hands free for trimming the feet, as long as a handy helper is holding the head. Does anyone know of a supplier? I was told to try ebay but no luck. Anything that saves any strain on the old back would be very welcome. ;D

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2011, 09:52:32 pm »
Ascott sells them. You will still however need to turn the sheep on its backside and heft it into the chair, also cannot be used when handling in-lamb ewes. Not sure I think its all that valuable a help...

Fishyhaddock

• Joined Apr 2009
  • aberdeenshire
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2011, 09:54:33 pm »
Thanks Anke. Will explore further!

Tudful Tamworths

• Joined Aug 2009
    • Liz's website
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2011, 11:31:43 pm »
I got mine on ebay. Think they called it a sheep seat. Handy, but you might need a belt to secure the sheep across the "waist".
www.lizshankland.com www.biggingerpigs.com
Author of the Haynes Pig Manual, Haynes Smallholding Manual, and the Haynes Sheep Manual. Three times winner of the Tamworth Champion of Champions. Teaching smallholding courses at Kate Humble's farm: www.humblebynature.com

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2011, 12:48:29 am »
We had one a few years back for Jacobs. Murder to get them in (amazing how many places an unwilling sheep can find to dig it's toes in  ;D) and ours soon bent under the strain.  Too big for smaller sheep.  I think we got ours from Ascot but we weren't impressed.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2011, 08:56:08 pm »
Just been on ebay-agriculture/farming searched for sheep. Sheep chairs three sizes or several differant types of turnover crates. hope this is helpfull

darkbrowneggs

• Joined Aug 2010
    • The World is My Lobster
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2011, 08:13:47 pm »
Whoops - posted this one too early! As i was saying .... we have read that sheep chairs exist - similar to a deck chair - which you position the sheep in leaving hands free for trimming the feet, as long as a handy helper is holding the head. Does anyone know of a supplier? I was told to try ebay but no luck. Anything that saves any strain on the old back would be very welcome. ;D

Turning sheep shouldn't be that much of a strain, as done properly there should be no lifting, and if its a problem to bend over the chair will not be much help anyway. 

To turn easily you hold the head/chin, and gently turn it till the sheep loses it balance, then flip it over.  Not easy to describe but if you go to a good sheep handling course they should be able to show you how to do this, and its much easier on the sheep than man-handling it.

All the best
Sue
To follow my travel journal see http://www.theworldismylobster.org.uk

For lots of info about Marans and how to breed and look after them see www.darkbrowneggs.info

trefnantbach

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2011, 07:56:37 pm »
look in Tim Tyne's book for a description and photos of how to turn sheep over effortlessly. Basically you fold them in half! away from you and slide their bum down your leg. There is a knack to it but once you get it it's easy ....especially if the sheep cooperate - basically i't judo with sheep!

andywalt

• Joined Aug 2010
  • kent
  • observe react administer enjoy !!
    • photos
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2011, 10:07:16 pm »
I love that one "judo with sheep" nice one  good quote and how true it is.....

andy
Suffolk x romneys and Texel X with Romney Tup, Shetlands and Southdown Tup

humphreymctush

• Joined Jul 2010
  • orkney
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2011, 10:40:20 am »
I think the sheep chairs may be a bit of a gimmick and a bit of a waste of time.
I agree that turning over a sheep should not be that much of a strain, but I would also say that it does not need doing very often. I probably turn mine less that once a year, just to check their feet. Everything else is done in the race.
With big rams the best way to turn them is to pull the opposite back leg out from under them forward and into the middle. You can do this with the front leg even more effectively but they need to have something soft to land on as the come down a bit hard.

Fishyhaddock

• Joined Apr 2009
  • aberdeenshire
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2011, 03:25:52 pm »
Thanks all. Our sheep are big and even with my other half having some hands on lessons it's still giving him some gyp with the old back so we are now looking at sheep turning crates!...

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2011, 07:57:58 pm »
Having used both of two main types i would recomend the IRONWORKS type (various models out there ) especially for big sheep , the COMMADORE type is difficult on sheep of differant sizes.

Fishyhaddock

• Joined Apr 2009
  • aberdeenshire
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2011, 09:34:25 pm »
Thanks Shep - we saw a couple of Ironworks last week and were impressed. Just need to save the pennies...

Declan

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Rathfriland, Co.Down
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2011, 11:17:36 pm »
Yes- I've invested in a turnover crate- it was expensive at £600 but they are absolutely brilliant. As a newbie to all this I thought i needed 4 hands to work at the sheep but with the crate theree is no pressure- I take my time and do it right- sheep more or less completely immobilised.

Declan

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS