Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Baby rabbits arrived!  (Read 5647 times)

Frieslandfilly

• Joined Apr 2009
Baby rabbits arrived!
« on: February 09, 2011, 02:25:14 pm »
You may remember I talked about putting our normal rabbit with my Giant English, well he must of managed it despite falling off a few time because we have babies!! I dont know how many yet, I went to clean her out and lo a large nest and movement. I have not touched anything, I will leave them until she decides to bring them out, how exciting  :bunny: + :bunny:= little  :bunny:

faith0504

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Cairngorms
  • take it easy and chill
    • blaemuir cottage
Re: Baby rabbits arrived!
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2011, 02:38:48 pm »
oh bless, how long will it be before mum brings them all out? cant wait for pics  :wave:

Pel

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2011, 04:31:20 pm »
When I bred from my doe, she would allow me a look in just to check for any dead ones. She would put them outside the nest, so I wouldnt have to disturb her too much. Some does I've heard will kill their babies if you disturb them, my two does didn't. Depending on the litter could be between 1 and 2 weeks till you see them, I guess time of year too, as I didnt breed any to be born this early on. With my younger Rex doe, I was allowed to start handling them for short amounts of time from about a week old, she would come in and tell me when she'd had enough of me. I sold mine as pets so being tame was the big thing.
Love pigs; their language, intelligence, and taste.
NPTC in chainsaws (felling small trees) and HND in Agriculture with countryside management.
Farming it runs through the blood :D

Frieslandfilly

• Joined Apr 2009
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2011, 04:13:29 pm »
Well I have had a little look, we thought it best if I do it as I feed her everyday and handle her bedding and water bottle etc so she will be used to my smell. There are 8!! We took the camera out but the battery was flat so will have to wait till charges up. I also researched our 'daddy' and he is an old English some of the babies are pink and some are black at the moment though if they change or not I dont know. I have done a bit of reading up from breeders and they handle thier kittens daily to make sure they are all growing well etc, but they probably handle the mother daily too and Lucy is not used to that. For the moment she doesnt seem to mind as long as I bring her a treat!! Will get photos as soon as possible.

Frieslandfilly

• Joined Apr 2009
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2011, 09:59:04 am »
pics!!

Cinderhills

• Joined Jul 2010
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2011, 10:02:04 am »
Oh, how gorgeous!!

faith0504

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Cairngorms
  • take it easy and chill
    • blaemuir cottage
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2011, 12:00:27 pm »
oh bless how sweet are they  :wave:

OhLaLa

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2011, 02:00:27 pm »
Thanks for posting about this - would be great if you could keep us all updated re her movements etc with them.

:bunny:

Frieslandfilly

• Joined Apr 2009
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2011, 01:10:50 pm »
What age can I separate them from the mother, they are 3 weeks now, eating hard feed and mum is getting fed up i think.

OhLaLa

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2011, 10:42:48 am »
Wean between age 5 1/2 weeks and 7 weeks. The doe may forcibly wean her litter by approximately 7 weeks anyhow.

To wean I take mum away (not the other way around) taking the smallest baby (or runt) with her. This means the milk is still being taken from mum but at a lesser rate, which will help her dry, and also gives the little nipper a good chance to catchup as he/she gets all the milk.

Our four kits are just over a week old now.

:bunny:

Frieslandfilly

• Joined Apr 2009
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2011, 11:04:51 am »
Growing fast, there are 2 black, 2 brown and 4 white with brown markings, no idea of sex, book says sexing is easy but ???

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS