Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Help with my Ex Race horse  (Read 2520 times)

SuzyB

• Joined Jan 2011
Help with my Ex Race horse
« on: January 29, 2011, 10:04:23 pm »
Hi, I am wondering if there is anyone from Blairgowrie area who can help exercise my ex race horse, would consider putting him out on loan to the right home. 

silver swan

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Scotland
Re: Help with my Ex Race horse
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2011, 07:27:12 pm »
Hi,

Before I can offer any helpful suggestions ( and they're tentative as I live in Scotland but not your neck of the woods so couldn't ride him), a number of questions.............

1) Age of chap?
2) Height?
3) Experience/what you've been doing with him so far?
4) Attitude?
5) Your plans for his future?
6) His lifestyle - live in/out?
7) Any health/lameness issues?
8) Why do you need help/would consider loaning him?

My experience is thus: my first horse was an ex-racehorse (16hh TB but age has lead me to my current traditional coloured cob 'plod'), my hubby has a race horse (in training) and I work for an event rider who has competed ex-race horses in eventing, dressage and show jumping.

Maybe (???????????????) between us, we could help you?

:horse: :hshoe: :carrot:

SuzyB

• Joined Jan 2011
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2011, 09:15:11 pm »
Hi,
He is 10years,
16'3 hh
I took him on in about Aug time to keep my youngster company, he was supposed to have a tendon injury so I have been resting him, but have never seen him lame yet and don't want him to get wasted.
Has been living out all this winter which I think he enjoys, but will go into the stable if he has company, doesn't like being on his own.
Was very skinny when I first took him but is looking much better now.
Not done much with him because I wanted to give him a little rest after racing then was going to bring him into work in spring when the weather gets better but I got offered a job that means I am working alot more than before.  I have a youngster who I really want to bring on this year and think it will be a struggle to do the both of them.
Would prefer him to stay here just now but I might consider a loan if it was to the right home. :)

Thanks

silver swan

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Scotland
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2011, 09:30:03 pm »
Hello there,

Please persevere, give him a chance, see how you get on and keep in touch. I wll keep checking back to see how you are doing/what you get up to with him and if I can offer any further help, will get right back. A number of solutions are whizzing round my head but they depend upon what you can achieve/ are prepared to do first! They also depend upon his attitude towards life!?

I'm so glad that you took him on in the first place and that he's putting on condition.

What's his name???

Take care.   :horse: :-*

SuzyB

• Joined Jan 2011
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2011, 10:25:45 pm »
Hi,

His name is Yankee.

He a lovely big lad and I am just a happy hacker, don't want him to be wasted, but at least I know he will be treated well with me and he loves my other horse even although he bullies him.

Lets hope we get a good summer so I can work with them both.  :)

Will keep you posted on his progress.

Thanks

Suz

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS