Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: where and how do you sell your veg produce?  (Read 4455 times)

NorthEssexsmallholding

• Joined Dec 2010
where and how do you sell your veg produce?
« on: February 06, 2011, 07:18:29 pm »
I'm going to be growing some veg on my smallholding, and I am hoping that I can sell some of the produce(if its worthy of selling).  I just wondered if there are people on here who sell their produce.  Im talking about more than selling the odd few bits from the farm gate.  Im talking about those who maybe sell to shops, restaurants and wholesalers or at farmers markets.

I have been trying to find out if you  need a license or if their are any rules&regs from the foods standards agency but can't find anything so far.

I would like to hear from anyone who sells their produce and the best way about doing it, any advice for a beginner would be appreciated.

NorthEssexsmallholding

• Joined Dec 2010
Re: where and how do you sell your veg produce?
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2011, 03:56:02 pm »
take it no-one on here sells their produce commercially.  I spoke to a relative and he supplies his neighbours so I suppose I could try to set up a box scheme and sell at the farm gate as well.

katie

• Joined Feb 2008
  • worcs
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2011, 05:38:20 pm »
I have sold at Farmers' markets in the past. The first step is to contact the market manager. If he has space for your products, he will arrange for you to be accredited (for a fee!) in that someone will come round and check you are producing what you're selling and not buying it in. That's about it really.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2011, 07:49:46 pm »
There is a brilliant little book where the author details exactly how she set up and now runs her veg box scheme, with pricings, sowing times and so on.  Of course just because I have tried to find it, I can't  ::)  I even have a spare copy.......  I will come across it soon and I'll let you know - the detail makes it worth a read.

I decided a while back that I wasn't prepared to slog so hard growing veggies for people who couldn't be bothered to put in the hard work themselves, so now I mainly grow just for us and our family, with the occasional surplus sold in our 'eggs for sale' box.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

egglady

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2011, 08:31:14 pm »
I'll be interested in doing this as well, so any information would be great - epseically the name of the book pls!

I think your first port of call is going to be your local council.  certainly up here (Fife, Scotland) you have to be registered as a food seller.  there is a form you can download from council website.

also i am being visited by one of their Business Support Officers shortly!!! but think that is cos i am selling stuff i have actually made rather than veg.

hope this helps

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2011, 12:12:03 pm »
"Valuable Vegetables" by Mandy Pullen. Eco-logic books, 2004. Local library may have it. Nothing in it about p/tunnels though.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2011, 04:33:14 pm »
That's the one Anke.  No she doesn't use a tunnel and I think she lives somewhere warm and cosy where things grow outdoors.  But of course you can adapt what she has written to your own circumstances.  Probably cheapest from Amazon but I think I got my copy from OGC.  I thought it was useful for info on correct sequencing of crops and geting continuity of supply.  Also for how she runs her box scheme.  From my point of view it's a whole lot of work to supply people who should be growing their own - but then I don't have any spare energy or time.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2011, 11:10:20 pm by Fleecewife »
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Hermit

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2011, 07:09:10 pm »
Try your local Health food shop, ours buys spare produce

NorthEssexsmallholding

• Joined Dec 2010
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2011, 09:58:24 pm »
thanks for the replies, will have to get a copy of that book.

katie

• Joined Feb 2008
  • worcs
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2011, 08:31:09 am »
I've just ordered a 2nd hand copy from Amazon. Thanks folks!

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2011, 09:25:56 am »
From my point of view it's a whole lot of work to supply people who should be growing their own - but then I don't have any spare energy or time.

But they're probably in exactly the same situation, which is why they want to buy it in a box!  ;D
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS