Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: first cow facing the chop  (Read 15400 times)

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: first cow facing the chop
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2008, 12:45:45 am »
it comes to a dead end

Pun intended or accidental?
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

danndans

• Joined Jan 2008
  • aberystwyth
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2008, 06:04:01 am »
 ;D durrr didnt even notice that!!  i realy must start reading what i put ::) :P

Both doganjo as it is ;)
Make your words soft and sweet, as one day you may have to eat them.

danndans

• Joined Jan 2008
  • aberystwyth
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2008, 06:12:30 am »
£55 a lamb is a good price. we sell ours at £2.10 per lb in joints but only as a half or whole lamb. we are getting aproxx £100 per lamb. Admittedly we sell heavyweight suffolks.

We are based in Northumberland and the downside is our butchering fees are £25 per head

i only sell mine half or whole, thee will be butchered to peoples own requirements to more often than not its whole ones going, most of the ewes are suffolk x, and they either have a texel or charolais running with them, so the carcasses are coming out at a reasonable size,
I dont think i'd get them butchered if i had to pay what you pay hexhammeasure :o 

kaz

• Joined Jul 2008
  • Ceredigion
  • Dust yourself off when life throws you down.
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2008, 08:21:44 am »
Mine are nice chunky Ryelands.
Penybont Ryelands. Ystwyth Coloured Ryelands.  2 alpacas, 2 angora goats, 2 anglo nubian kids, 3golden retrievers a collie and a red fox labrador retriever, geese, ducks & chickens.

kaz

• Joined Jul 2008
  • Ceredigion
  • Dust yourself off when life throws you down.
« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2008, 10:31:03 am »
Just a thought. I know legally you can have the skins back if they know they are going to be tanned, but do you? :D
Penybont Ryelands. Ystwyth Coloured Ryelands.  2 alpacas, 2 angora goats, 2 anglo nubian kids, 3golden retrievers a collie and a red fox labrador retriever, geese, ducks & chickens.

danndans

• Joined Jan 2008
  • aberystwyth
« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2008, 11:11:41 am »
Never have done Kaz, you need some sort of other licence too as far as i know :-\

Ash Field Farm

• Joined Apr 2008
  • banbury
  • my girls
« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2009, 09:35:41 pm »
i thought id give an update 
 in the end i decided to keep her on a bit just incase  shes now 20 months iam iam ready to send her now i hope i have spoken to a friend f mine whos a butcher  and hes arangint it for me hes gonna show me the butcher side of it with me when it ready  the plan is i need to find some transport to get her to the slaughter house  any one doens tknow of away like hireing a trailer  iam wait to find out the slaughter costs for her
i have orders for 120kg but iam to confirm a price i need to know what she gonna kill out at  does any one have an idication of a price list for all the cuts inc the prime ones  i know the cost of the fillet per kg as the butcher has mentiond it to me £28.90 pkg i was shock as well  i do have apic but i cant upload it as it says its to big of an image  any way  how much do u think the butcher ing costs would be cos he has offerd to train me how to butcher a carcass up in his shop  if any one has anything that can help ill be more than greatfull 

i would also like to upload a pic but i cant as its to big  how do i put it on  site so i can sned the link to here than i can show u a pic of her

danndans

• Joined Jan 2008
  • aberystwyth
« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2009, 09:55:27 pm »
open your pik in paint, go to images then to resize  ;D

what breed is your cow that your taking? we've got dexters here and for killing and butchering it costs us around £90 ;D

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2009, 10:18:20 pm »
If anyone has lamb in Central Belt I'd be interested in buying some.  The pork we bought from Andrew has been extremely well received.  My daughter was just saying today how peely wally the supermarket bacon is compared to what she cooked up last night. And the taste was so different too.  Andrew, when you have time, can you let me know what flavours are in the sweet cure you used please.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Ash Field Farm

• Joined Apr 2008
  • banbury
  • my girls
« Reply #24 on: February 07, 2009, 10:02:40 am »
this is her shes a pedagriee aberdean angus form the evergreen bloodline

woollyval

• Joined Feb 2008
  • Near Bodmin, Cornwall
    • Val Grainger
    • Facebook
« Reply #25 on: February 07, 2009, 12:22:24 pm »
............be very careful that you do not breech the regs if you are butchering yourself and then selling!!!!

Meat for sale must either be in a bag straight from the butcher/abbatoir
or......vaccume sealed if you are going to 'split' it up between customers!!!

I.E if you sell a half a lamb butchered to a customer it can be all in a bag for them to sort out but if you sell a leg on its own it must be vac paced as otherwise you would need to touch the meat!!!!

Costs for killing and butchering are high, but so should your meat prices be.....you have a premium product.....do not undersell it!
www.valgrainger.co.uk

Overall winner of the Devon Environmental Business Awards 2009

Ash Field Farm

• Joined Apr 2008
  • banbury
  • my girls
« Reply #26 on: February 07, 2009, 02:42:07 pm »
hi its ok as iam a chef by trade  so i hold all the relavent papper work and quolifications to sell meat cooked or uncooked to the public  but i havent done much on butchering on large carcasses before thays y the butchers is showing me  the plan is to have the orders of what they want and it would be vacum pack acordingly as required  this is the same way iam doing my piges when they are ready as well  just trying to get an idea on the how much to charge per kg looking in the paper for weekly meat prices would the be the closeist relevent prices to charge

VSS

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Pen Llyn
    • Viable Self Sufficiency.co.uk
« Reply #27 on: February 07, 2009, 08:31:01 pm »
Its your premises that need to be registered aswell.
The SHEEP Book for Smallholders
Available from the Good Life Press

www.viableselfsufficiency.co.uk

Ash Field Farm

• Joined Apr 2008
  • banbury
  • my girls
« Reply #28 on: February 07, 2009, 10:25:59 pm »
hi vss i wont be doing it at my site it would be a the butches and sold through him and i would help with the ditrobution with him

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS