Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Please sign the petition!  (Read 3129 times)

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
Please sign the petition!
« on: February 05, 2011, 11:00:34 am »
against the EU directive which will prevent us from buying traditional medicines over the counter this spring!
It seriously affects not only our personal independence in our heath management but also puts all the power into the hands of the pharma giants - and all in the name of public health!

http://www.gaia-health.com/articles301/000315-stop-the-traditional-herbal-medicinal-products-directive.shtml

claire

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Falkirk
    • Clairesgarden
    • Facebook
Re: Please sign the petition!
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2011, 11:10:51 am »
signed it, I had heard about this but had no idea it was happening so soon.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2011, 11:43:59 am »
Signed, and commented too.  We have to stop this!
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

faith0504

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Cairngorms
  • take it easy and chill
    • blaemuir cottage
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2011, 01:08:11 pm »
signed and left a comment, who do they think they are  ???

kaz

• Joined Jul 2008
  • Ceredigion
  • Dust yourself off when life throws you down.
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2011, 04:36:17 pm »
Signed as well.
Penybont Ryelands. Ystwyth Coloured Ryelands.  2 alpacas, 2 angora goats, 2 anglo nubian kids, 3golden retrievers a collie and a red fox labrador retriever, geese, ducks & chickens.

lazybee

• Joined Mar 2010
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2011, 05:14:09 pm »
To be honest i don't see anything wrong here??

The aim of the Traditional Herbal Medicinal Products Directive is to ensure that this latter group of herbal remedies meets basic safety and quality standards - i.e. they should not be watered down, or contain contaminants or cheap substitute ingredients. They will also have to demonstrate their efficacy through "traditional use" i.e. through being on the market for 30 years - 15 years of which must be in Europe. In addition, any medical claims they make must be accurate.

It would be good to know you won't be putting yourself and family at any risk or wasting your money. Opium is traditional, I know it's not herbal but so is Rhino horn. I personally need to know anything take or apply is fit for purpose. Some things like clove oil, eucalyptus, menthol, witchhazel etc have been used for years and have been proven to work. The things that need to be controlled are some of the more fadish Chinese treatments and the like; some are poisonous and affect the heart and nervous system. Others have been tested and found to contain dangerous levels of heavy metals like lead and arsenic.
I could go on the internet any time and buy a cocktail of toxic so called traditional medicines of unknown origin. They could contain anything and I wouldn't know. Is this right?

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2011, 05:58:21 pm »
Lazybee, this is exactly how they sold it to the MEPs. This directive is not telling you what is safe, it is telling you that you are not allowed to buy it.
They use the same brush  for everything and there is no difference made between what we and generations before us consider "safe" and what is dubious You will still be able to get possibly toxic herbs and dubious ingredients if you go and visit a registered Chinese herbalist. We are just not allowed to buy any  without a prescription - and a lot of these are herbs used in food, only the small companies which sell them for the health market, like in the form of tinctures, will be driven out of the market because they can not fund the studies. And have you ever asked a doctor to prescribe a herb for you? they have no clue (unlike on the continent). It is very similar to the Bill in America where everything is regulated now what you grow and eat - who benefits from that? Wait for it, Brussels with come up with the same soon. For a while we can at least grow some of our own... :&>

Daisys Mum

• Joined May 2009
  • Scottish Borders
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2011, 06:42:04 pm »

Signed
Anne

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS