Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: What's that under the perch? - is it a problem??  (Read 2720 times)

Laurieston

• Joined May 2009
  • Northern Germany
What's that under the perch? - is it a problem??
« on: February 04, 2011, 09:27:10 pm »
Apart from the neat little piles I have to tidy from under my girls' perch I am finding something else, strange and am wondering if it is a problem, or if anyone has an similar experience.

I looks like grated feather sharft - I mean the hard bit of the feather - small shards, about 1-2 mm, lying amidst, but not in, the poo directly undernearth where the birds sleep. 

I am wondering/worrying whether it is something horrible.  I noticed it first when they were moulting in the Autumn, and not much since then. 

For information the birds moulted well (although was a shock to see - my and their first moult), are just starting to lay again, totally free range (but come alone to bed in the barn at night).  I feed them layers' feed and mixed corns.  We have no cockerel (ate him due to being too aggressive with the children - but didn't taste nice - probably psychological flavour).

Any ideas would be gratefully received.

Adam

lazybee

• Joined Mar 2010
Re: What's that under the perch? - is it a problem??
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2011, 05:33:16 am »
Hello,
It sounds like quill sheath from the new feathers, falling down as they preen.

Buffy the eggs layer

• Joined Jun 2010
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2011, 07:29:26 am »
I have been having that from some of my birds recently and agree with lazybee. My young growers who are developing their adult plumage seem to produce the most dander and dust overnight.

you could check them for mites etc and give them a treatment if you want to be sure.

Buffy

OhLaLa

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2011, 10:09:03 am »
Same thought here - just debris from where they have been preening on the perches. As Buffy says, give them a dust anyhow if you are worried.

:chook:  :)

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2011, 10:22:38 am »
I've been finding this in the duck house and could not identify it - glad the mystery's solved! :&>

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2011, 05:41:02 pm »
It sounds like quill sheath from the new feathers, falling down as they preen.

Ah of course, that makes perfect sense. I had thought it was some sort of hen dandruff!!  ;D
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS