Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Purple Sprouting Broccoli  (Read 5645 times)

silver swan

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Scotland
Purple Sprouting Broccoli
« on: February 04, 2011, 06:50:02 pm »
Hi All  :brocolli: :brocolli:

I grew PSB for the 1st time last year with good results, despite the caterpillars! This year will be sensible and cover them with butterfly netting. The thing is, I want to create a cage for the entire raised bed but not sure how high PSB grows? Seed packets and the Suttons Vegetable Planner (absolutely brilliant web product generally but not in this instance) don't list the height! Therefore, I'm not sure what height canes or netting kit to get etc. Answers in cms/meters gratefully received - don't do 'old money'!

Many thanks.  :-*

RUSTYME

• Joined Oct 2009
Re: Purple Sprouting Broccoli
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2011, 07:23:01 pm »
PSB grows about 18" - 2 foot , but if left to carry on I think it can grow to about 3 - 4 feet . I never do though , I just cut it back and let it grow up again till I have  younger plants to take over .

I don't do metric ...so old money it has to be I'm afraid  ::) ;D ;D ;D

cheers

Rustyme

smallholder in the city

• Joined Jul 2010
  • Lincolnshire
    • HootersHall
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2011, 07:37:44 pm »
Mine's enormous (Oo er missus) 75cm - 1m ish and currently held up by an ever increasingly complicated system of string and stakes. It survived the snow but we'll have to see how windy it gets tonight !
Probably more sensible to follow Rustyme's advice and cut it back.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2011, 11:18:42 pm »
Mine is about a metre tall.  I made my net too low this year (using 4' canes, with about a foot (30cms) pushed into the ground) and the sprouting bits grew through it, which is of course not the idea  ::)  I took the net off before the snow and most of the plants survived.  Each one should be tied to it's own cane for support, especially the taller varieties.  Some of mine are much taller than others - I always grow a few of various varieties of everything; I think it's 'Lancer' which is extra tall.  To make supports for the net, I stuck tennis balls on the ends of the upright canes, then threaded more canes along the sides of the net and pinned them down with wire hoops, made of old fencing wire. The ends are held with bricks or old stobs.  When you buy your mesh/net, make sure it's wide enough to stretch over the whole affair. LBS horticulture do a good deal on strong black knitted netting in various widths, which should last for several years.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Andrew

• Joined Dec 2007
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2011, 11:00:57 am »
 You could always  get one of these.   http://www.walk-inwonderwall.co.uk/index.html

silver swan

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Scotland
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2011, 01:10:59 pm »
What a brilliant product! Thanks for pointing it out Andrew - It would fit across all 3 of my raised beds (just), stop the cat from digging about, chickens scratching, obviously most pests out and be much cheaper than if i had 3 lots of Harrod Horticultural (for example) cage kits. I'm getting one! :brocolli:

dyedinthewool

• Joined Jul 2010
  • Orpingtons and assorted Sheep
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2011, 07:52:18 pm »
Hey thats great ::) ::)

Have added it to my favorites so I don't lose the link.  Will definately think about getting one. It might keep both the chooks :chook: and the odd rabbit  :bunny:out.
You are never to old to learn something new

shrekfeet

• Joined Sep 2008
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2011, 02:56:11 pm »
you can make one of these yourself with some lengths of blue water pipe, some roofing baton and garden canes pushed in thr ground with the pipes slotted over it. Cover the whole ting with netting and you are sorted

Blonde

• Joined Mar 2011
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2011, 06:28:10 am »
I agree you can make one yourself and make it as big  or as  small as you want.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS