Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Work wanted!!  (Read 5751 times)

Sandy

Work wanted!!
« on: February 02, 2011, 09:16:46 pm »
Next Tuesday my husband will be out of work, he did work for Glasgow council as a project worker re settleing Asyum seekers and now they have lost the project so as an agency worker he will no longer work there or get any benifits. I can work if necessary but I am having investigations on my back as my legs keep going from under me and it happens whether I have a drink or not  ;) I used to work in  a similar field and we are both youth workers. Hubby has a health and safety card so can work as a general labourer or any job in fact, he dose not drive but gets around fine on his bike!!!!! He should get something soon but just thought I would see if any one has any ideas!!!! Thanks, may never get that Landrover Defender  >:(

scattybiker1972

• Joined Dec 2009
  • wirral
Re: Work wanted!!
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2011, 09:40:17 pm »
i hope your  hubby gets work soon.all the council workers have been offered redundancy pakages here too.the council are closing libraries youth clubs and care homes....sucks

Sandy

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2011, 09:49:46 pm »
 ??? :(

ellied

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Fife
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2011, 09:46:18 am »
Are you Glasgow based?  Lack of transport will limit what he can get to but if you're in the city then think about colleges and universities - plenty of them and full of young people and international students so he could make a reasonable case for applying as a support worker and if he's up on the current UKBA regs then he might be a good candidate for their international offices and recruitment teams too..

Glasgow Uni, Strathclyde, Glasgow Caledonian, UWS (Paisley), Glasgow School of Art, loads of FE colleges.. he might not have thought of that sector and they're facing cuts too but reliant more on international student fees so worth a thought and maybe a try ;)
Barleyfields Smallholding & Kirkcarrion Highland Ponies
https://www.facebook.com/kirkcarrionhighlands/
Ellie Douglas Therapist
https://www.facebook.com/Ellie-Douglas-Therapist-124792904635278/

Sandy

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2011, 10:47:57 am »
Good idea, has an interview this afternoon, looks a nice job and near BUT, the man said he had loads and loads and loads of applications!!!!!!! fingers crossed but not driving tippes the scales the wrong way!!

morri2

• Joined Jun 2008
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2011, 11:27:57 am »
Wish your hubby good luck in finding work Sandy.   Given the economic climate its not an easy task.  All the best.  :wave:

Sandy

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2011, 12:10:41 pm »
Thanks, mind you hes franticly hoovering before his interview, could do with him around and the house would be all sparkly, we'll see  :)

Sandy

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2011, 05:24:07 pm »
 :( 50 applicants for a basic wage job  ;) He was told he did very well but some one else had more to offer!!!! I just rang the jobcenter as I worry we will get nothing as he is/was agency but he may be able to get some benifit for 6 mths not sure what happens after that???? I am going into a new venture and fingers crossed that should help but the government are certainly causing some problems, I used to work for jobcenter etc and had loads of different funding to enable people to get back to work but now its all cut and loads of jobs going....so any ideas???? May end up eating our livestock  ;)NOT the dogs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

faith0504

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Cairngorms
  • take it easy and chill
    • blaemuir cottage
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2011, 05:32:09 pm »
so any ideas?

keep smiling, i know it doesnt pay the bills, but keep smiling and positive thinking, im sure something will crop up  :bouquet: :wave:

wellywearer

• Joined Feb 2011
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2011, 05:52:15 pm »
Hi Sandy, This is my very first ever post on a forum, although I have browsed on TAS for a while, I was moved by your post and wanted to offer you a suggestion if that is ok? The British Red Cross do a lot of work with refugees and asylum seekers and young people in the glasgow area - as well as many other things. Someone with your husbands experience may well be of interest to them. There is an internal job going at the moment that sounds as if it might be up his street, so it may be worth just asking, they may not have anyone suitable internally - you can find contact details/more info about the work they do on the Red Cross web site. Or consider volunteering with the Red Cross to further skills/training/keep cv alive and that might even lead to a job. Wishing you both lots of luck.

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2011, 06:39:02 pm »
no useful suggestions from down here but wabted to say "good luck Steve".
wellywearer, my Dad was made redundant after many years on the railways, he took a part time job at a local BRC to see him out to retirement.  So I'll second your suggestion  :)
Little Blue

Sandy

« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2011, 08:51:50 pm »
My last job before comming to Scotland was getting people back to work and I regulary sent people to do voluntary work for Red Cross, so middle class but so needed!! Love um!!!!!!

wellywearer

• Joined Feb 2011
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2011, 10:17:18 pm »
ho hum... middle class? maybe where you were but no such thing where I am!!

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2011, 10:56:52 pm »
So sorry about your husbands job loss.  Hopefully he will find work again soon.  So many people are losing their jobs now, its so worrying.  My hubby has been made redundant a couple of times now, but thankfully found other jobs ......he is at the moment working on a farm, doing anything and everything from land drainage, dry stone walling, to helping do a barn conversion. 

Surely, if your husband got an office based job, the fact he does not drive is not a major problem, especially if the job was in a city or big town, as public transport links will be good?

Sandy

« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2011, 12:33:01 am »
He has always managed to work without driving as he uses his bike and I do commend him as with public transport as well, he gets to do his job the same as others but without the pollution. He also loves to cycle as part of his job. I have an issue with places wanting people to drive, why???? In this climate, the employers want to get the most out of everyone!! I have had soooo man jobs that have reqquired me to cover huge areas as I can drive, those I worked with who cannot drive have a much simpler life!!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS