Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: question for you  (Read 3326 times)

NLL

• Joined Apr 2010
question for you
« on: February 02, 2011, 06:34:21 pm »
I am getting short of disposable needles and when I look them up there seems to be loads of different siz es.I like the ones I have that have a yellow top but have no idea which ones they are.I also need 10mls syringes.I stocked up at the Lincolnshire county show but the website on the bag doesnt work.

robert waddell

Re: question for you
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2011, 07:07:53 pm »
your local vet should be able to sell you them

andywalt

• Joined Aug 2010
  • kent
  • observe react administer enjoy !!
    • photos
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2011, 08:30:04 pm »
I got a massive bag of needles and syringes from my vet
Suffolk x romneys and Texel X with Romney Tup, Shetlands and Southdown Tup

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2011, 09:32:55 pm »
I use what the vet calls "puppy" needles, especially for the lambs, and actually it makes it easier for the goats vaccinations too. They are quite fine and go blunt quite quickly, but I can get a few at a time from the vets. They are only good for 2ml max injections though.

I just wash and boil the plastic disposable syringes. Again fine for a few times.

andywalt

• Joined Aug 2010
  • kent
  • observe react administer enjoy !!
    • photos
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2011, 09:56:08 pm »
yup i wash them out with the syringe and hold over the steam of a boiling kettle
Suffolk x romneys and Texel X with Romney Tup, Shetlands and Southdown Tup

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2011, 01:16:47 am »
When you choose the needle sizes you want, consider what you are injecting, as well as the animal getting it.  For subcutaneous injections ie just under the skin but not into the muscle, you want a short fine needle - green 21G (gauge) x 5/8 or one inch 'Luer tip' (the type of connection to fit normal syringes). For intramuscular injections you need the longer type, especially for a larger animal, maybe 18G (I think that's pink, maybe yellow - I don't keep them in stock usually).  If the liquid you are injecting is very thick then you should use a thick needle - white 16G x 1" or longer, and inject fairly slowly to prevent tissue damage.  If you force a thick liquid quickly through a small bore needle you are more likely to cause tissue damage at the injection site. A wide bore needle does not hurt more going in than a small bore one, but the injected solution can hurt.  With sheep, if you tap the point where you are about to inject a couple of times, the animal seems to notice the actual needle much less.

For syringes, I usally keep a selection of 2ml, 5 ml (most used), 10ml and 20 ml.  I also have some 50ml catheter tip syringes which connect to feeding tubes for intubating lambs - these are useful for all sorts of things, including strange requirements for servicing motorbikes, but I only have them as they are left over from when my husband was ill.  The slightly more expensive syringes last for several uses whereas the seal goes very quickly in the very cheap kind - if they have a black rubber bung they are usually ok.  We usually get our syringes from the vet but we have also bought online.

You also need a sharps box for disposal of used needles (syringes can go in the rubbish).  Once this is full, your vet will dispose of it for a small fee - ours has only been full once in 16 years.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

NLL

• Joined Apr 2010
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2011, 08:32:41 am »
many thanks for your replies.
I have a sharps box from the vets.
thanks fleecewife for your comprehensive reply, we have had yellow,green,pink and white needles but didnt realise they were for different injections [we have had trouble with the thicker liquids].My vet will,and has supplied us but I found this stand at the show which sold everything in bulk.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS