Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Pastured rabbit a la Daniel Salatin  (Read 3982 times)

norcalorganic

• Joined Jan 2011
Pastured rabbit a la Daniel Salatin
« on: February 01, 2011, 06:23:57 pm »
I'm interested in starting a breeding stock of pastured rabbits for meat. I was wondering if anyone could recommend specific breeds that may fare better initially on a low-input, pasture based diet; I've read that attempting to rear favored commercial breeds on such a diet can result in severe scouring, as their guts have evolved to favor processed feed. Could I circumvent this issue by choosing a heritage breed? The only experience I have with rabbits is shooting and cleaning them for the dinner pot, so any advice would be very much appreciated. Thanks in advance. :)
« Last Edit: February 01, 2011, 06:41:49 pm by norcalorganic »

fizzgigg

• Joined May 2010
  • bolton
  • catch it kill it cook it eat it waste nothing
Re: Pastured rabbit a la Daniel Salatin
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2011, 07:55:51 pm »
try this link mate http://polyfaceapprentice.blogspot.com/search?q=rabbit i graze mine through the warmer drier weather just a gradual change over seems to do them well i give feed for first week n ween em off feed onto grass over the next and fingers crossed never had any trouble with scours

norcalorganic

• Joined Jan 2011
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2011, 08:22:48 pm »
Right on.. thanks for the link. Any personal experience with breeds that do particularly well? Do you process yours as fryers or roasters? Or both? At what age and to what yield, and on what sort of pasture?

fizzgigg

• Joined May 2010
  • bolton
  • catch it kill it cook it eat it waste nothing
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2011, 09:43:26 pm »
mainly just grass and the other things that grow in it clover etc, i do top up with other plants like coltsfoot dried nettles any a few others they seem to do pretty well on it uve just gotta keep moving the runs around which can be time consuming. i tend to kill between 8 and 12 weeks just have a good feel ul get to know when their ready. i have my own mix of newzealand whites n californians going to try some champage de argent this year see how they fair. good luck :bunny:

Budo1

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2011, 10:39:08 am »
the problem with farmed breeds is that their digestive system is considerably more sensitive than wild-who seam to be able to digest everything and anything. One can condition your stock to enjoy a variety of food sorces but this is a slightly long winded process in the fact that it all has to be introduced slowly for the digestive system to adjust. There is a whole list of foods to totally avoid wich will help in reducing scour.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS