Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Pasture/hill land wanted to buy or lease, Central Scotland  (Read 2985 times)

ellied

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Fife
    • Facebook
Pasture/hill land wanted to buy or lease, Central Scotland
« on: January 31, 2011, 11:04:24 am »
Ideally would be purchase around 20 miles radius of Callander, but other areas considered. House/pp or something liable to "earn" a S75 house in due course would be great but also willing to live offsite if necessary, assuming 4x4 access from available properties and/or local support in winter weather.

Can buy on sale of my smallholding in Fife so flexible entry there or can lease in advance of purchase or lease long term from whenever available for right place and secure tenancy.

Currently 17 pony herd requiring min 2/3 separate enclosures (can fence if buying), planning to reduce to breeding stud of around 8-12 including followers and bring in sheep, chickens etc.  Happy to use stubbles in winter on rotational basis and/or buy and partial lease back or other ideas welcome.

Space for polytunnel/veg plot a bonus as I have that here and an orchard but that could also be done wherever I am staying if offsite..

Must have reliable year round water supply either natural or mains and natural or manmade shelter of some kind (at least one storage building and a handling area would be ideal).

Any ideas or information please pm me. 

Barleyfields Smallholding & Kirkcarrion Highland Ponies
https://www.facebook.com/kirkcarrionhighlands/
Ellie Douglas Therapist
https://www.facebook.com/Ellie-Douglas-Therapist-124792904635278/

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
Re: Pasture/hill land wanted to buy or lease, Central Scotland
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2011, 10:38:49 pm »
How much land are you looking for? Can keep my eyes peeled.

Beth

ellied

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Fife
    • Facebook
Re: Pasture/hill land wanted to buy or lease, Central Scotland
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2011, 10:35:07 am »
Willing to look at anything over 10 acres as that's what I have here now but I had and needed that plus 20 acres leased making 30 total which was ideal and I'm struggling without the space :( so closer to that would be more realistic.

If there wasn't a house (ie more affordable!) then I would consider more land better than less ;) and happy to live in a caravan or cabin or offsite so it depends on the quality and hence price so around 50 (+/- 20) would be fab or more if rough hill and priced accordingly.

Cost and location are the issues - for 10 or less I'm better off staying put :( as I have a house and a barn plus 4 paddocks, orchard and veg beds and could do a lot more with this place if I was staying long term..

I had a note of interest on two lots of a farm near Callander one was 22 acres and the other 200 but I couldn't afford the 200 and the 22 had loads of horsey folk interested so would have gone way over the valuation ::)  I asked them about taking a block of 50 but they wouldn't split further and in the end they've taken it off the market cos they couldn't sell the house with 6 acres primary lot and wouldn't sell the land until that went in case someone would buy it with some or all of the land ::)

Also looked at a place of 45 acres near Thornhill that sounded ideal - but half was bog, the other half raised about 4-5' towards the road, and the access right on a blind bend ::) so didn't go for that tho I probably should have ::) and other than that it's all been 2-3 acres for rich horsey folk with a kiddy's pony or two, or arable prices in the Carse which is too rich for my kind of stock as well as my bank account ;) 

There were also a couple of blocks of forest I thought about but I wasn't sure about getting the trees thinned out enough to graze around and/or put pigs in after to root up the roots ::)

A small hill and some permanent pasture with water running through would be paradise :)

Barleyfields Smallholding & Kirkcarrion Highland Ponies
https://www.facebook.com/kirkcarrionhighlands/
Ellie Douglas Therapist
https://www.facebook.com/Ellie-Douglas-Therapist-124792904635278/

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS