Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Had his chips  (Read 6175 times)

benkt

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Cambridgeshire
    • Hempsals Community Farm
Re: Had his chips
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2011, 12:35:02 am »
I'd say that yes it definitely does get easier after the first few times. I took my first three cockerels round to an experienced friend who did one as a demonstration then helped me through doing the other two. Can't recommend it highly enough - the worst thing is being nervous and indeciscive. Then for the next couple of years I only did the odd cockerel and never really got comfortable with it.

Last year, we set the aim of getting self-sufficient in chicken (actually mainly cockerel!) and so I ended up doing a couple every fortnight or so and very quickly it became quick and easy and no longer a job to fear.

I think its like a lot of things that take a bit of practice - if you only do it occassionally its very easy to stay bad at it, you have to do it regularly enough that you can learn from the last experience and slowly improve.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
Re: Had his chips
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2011, 10:49:36 am »
First thing in the morning, just before they are let out, straight off the perch. They are emtpy then, which helps if you pluck them. Our surplus males (from the home hatched egglayers) just get to the stage where I really cannot bear their crowing and feeding them, if they don't grow anymore..., we normall just skin, take the legs and the (little) breast meat. Good for curries (if marinated o/n) or the Bulgarian Red Wine treatment....

And yes it gets easier and quicker with time, we normally do it together. One holds, the other.... (very sharp axe) very quick, but a bit messy at times.

We also do meatbirds, they of course get plucked etc etc.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS