Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: MIDDLE WHITE WANTED  (Read 4838 times)

littlemisspiggy!

• Joined Sep 2010
  • NOTTINGHAMSHIRE
    • just left of the 20th century
MIDDLE WHITE WANTED
« on: January 30, 2011, 11:25:45 am »
hello..im after a middle white gilt or sow some time this summer,does anyone have a litter plannedin east midlands area or not to far away? , also has anyone got any thoughts / experiences to share about this breed? ive always loved the look of them and have several pigs already for her to go with...look forward to replies :) :pig: :)
'can't rain all the time!'

Snapper

• Joined Mar 2010
    • walbut house farm
Re: MIDDLE WHITE WANTED
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2011, 01:09:13 pm »
Hi,

Have you checked on the website  www. britishpigs.org.uk  you should be able to find breeders local to you who own Middle Whites.

darkbrowneggs

• Joined Aug 2010
    • The World is My Lobster
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2011, 01:18:36 pm »
Lovely tasty tender pork - easy to keep.  My first choice if buying in weaners

All the best
Sue
To follow my travel journal see http://www.theworldismylobster.org.uk

For lots of info about Marans and how to breed and look after them see www.darkbrowneggs.info

Dan

• The Accidental Smallholder
  • Administrator
  • Joined Oct 2007
  • Carnoustie, Angus
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2011, 01:32:54 pm »
We're hoping to keep Middle White weaners this year.

We've always kept Tamworths before now, but want something a bit less hard on the ground and a little less, erm, boisterous.  :)

Good luck with yours, please let us know how you get on when/if you find some.

Blinkers

• Joined Jan 2008
  • Carmarthenshire
  • Carmarthenshire/Pembrokeshire border
    • Glyn Elwyn - Faithmead Herd
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2011, 05:46:13 pm »
I'd highly recommend them; they're delightful to keep, don't root up the ground so much because of their squished noses  ;D, have lovely temperaments.  Not quite as hardy as some of the other rare breeds, but having said that, ours live outside with strawbedded ark, and all fine....although we do farrow indoors.   The meat to bone ratio is excellent and better than a lot of breeds and the meat is very succulent.  They are an excellent pork pig, but not particularly recommended through to bacon weight.        Boar running with our sow now but we're probably a bit too far away for you  :) 

Hope that helps  :pig:   
Did you ever stop to think, and forget to start again !!
www.glynelwyn.co.uk

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2011, 07:09:47 pm »
They are an excellent pork pig, but not particularly recommended through to bacon weight.       

Is that because they get too fat before they get big enough? I'm a bit confused about the pork / bacon thing so if you can give me a simple explanation, I'd be awfully grateful  :) :pig:

Blinkers

• Joined Jan 2008
  • Carmarthenshire
  • Carmarthenshire/Pembrokeshire border
    • Glyn Elwyn - Faithmead Herd
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2011, 11:06:49 am »
I believe its because of the quality of the pork, the succulence of it and the killing out percentages being some 85% and even 90% is not unknown and the fact its early maturing.    I guess people do take them through to baconers without problem but we've only gone to pork stage and it really is a beautiful succulent tender pork.........and we breed GOS and Berkshire too......but the Middle Whites is {{{whispering now}}} my favourite  ;)     
Did you ever stop to think, and forget to start again !!
www.glynelwyn.co.uk

east yorks smallholder

• Joined Jun 2010
  • Bridlington, East Yorkshire
  • Me with Dozer the Middle White
    • Maidlands Middle White Pigs
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2011, 11:50:47 pm »
Hi everyone, this is my first post  :wave:, done alot of reading on here and found all the answers I have needed so far
I'd highly recommend them; they're delightful to keep, don't root up the ground so much because of their squished noses  ;D, have lovely temperaments. 
I wish someone would tell my two middle white gilts that they are not supposed to root so much. I went to feed this afternoon and they had each dug a hole about 2 feet deep and about six feet across (thought I had been bombed),our boar, well he is as different again he doesn't root about much at all.
Middle White & Gloucester Old Spot Pigs and Jacobs & Suffolk X Sheep

Eve

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2011, 10:29:40 am »
Some of them dig craters that must be visible from space!  :D

darkbrowneggs

• Joined Aug 2010
    • The World is My Lobster
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2011, 11:41:02 am »
I think there is someone advertising a gilt and boar on the Farmers Market bit of the River Cottage site.  If its Chris Impey he is well known for showing round the midlands area so they should be nice

All the best
Sue
Dark Brown Eggs
To follow my travel journal see http://www.theworldismylobster.org.uk

For lots of info about Marans and how to breed and look after them see www.darkbrowneggs.info

catcat1_1

• Joined Feb 2011
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2011, 09:22:14 pm »
6 middle white gilts for sale 14 months old and ready to breed now. Used to living outdoors with an arc. They have fantastic characters. No pedigree papers but are pure bred middle whites. £100 each no offers. 07891716236

Hairy Hogs

• Joined Feb 2011
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2011, 10:06:13 pm »
Hi there, I'll post some pictures tomorrow!

3 gilt weavers for sale, we have a litter of eight......... The boys are all spoken for!

Regards
Jason
Www.hairy hogs.co.uk

littlemisspiggy!

• Joined Sep 2010
  • NOTTINGHAMSHIRE
    • just left of the 20th century
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2011, 02:04:52 pm »
CATCAT1_1 WHERE ABOUTS ARE YOU PLEASE?
'can't rain all the time!'

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS