Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: When do caterpillars eat?  (Read 15069 times)

knightquest

• Joined May 2010
  • Birmingham
    • Knight Pet Supplies
When do caterpillars eat?
« on: January 29, 2011, 09:17:31 pm »
Got some veggies in the greenhouse that seem to be being mulla'h by caterpillocks....... I've tried to catch them in the act so that the chooks can have a meal but they are never around. Been out all times of day and night but with no success.
Any advice?

Cheers,

Ian
Ian (me), Diane (my wife) and 4 dogs. Ollie (Lab mix) , Quest (Malamute), Gazer and Boris (Leonbergers)

darkbrowneggs

• Joined Aug 2010
    • The World is My Lobster
Re: When do caterpillars eat?
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2011, 10:21:30 pm »
I am not an expert but from my gardening experience I wouldn't suspect caterpillars at this time of the year, but I suppose it depends on how warm it is in your greenhouse

Its pretty much too cold with me for anything to eat anything, though the mice have been having a good go at  certain things.  As it warms up I find cutworm a problem and then flea beetle.  And of course as soon as it is warm enough the slugs get started.

Caterpillars tend to be more daytime feeders, but slugs and cutworm are more night eaters,  What does the damage look like. A photo might help or perhaps a description of the damage

All the best
Sue
To follow my travel journal see http://www.theworldismylobster.org.uk

For lots of info about Marans and how to breed and look after them see www.darkbrowneggs.info

OhLaLa

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2011, 12:36:04 pm »
I reckon it's mice  ;)

Or, if the door isn't closed, rabbits.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2011, 04:47:10 pm by OhLaLa »

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2011, 03:09:35 pm »
Caterpillars are slow movers so if you've got them then you'll see them (unless they are camouflaging themselves as a leaf rib).  So as the others say, it's likely to be something else
« Last Edit: January 30, 2011, 05:43:24 pm by Fleecewife »
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Hermit

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2011, 03:35:06 pm »
Forkey tails can do as much damage and similar damage to a caterpillar. Cant think what the proper name is ...earwiggy type things, like little black scorpians.

knightquest

• Joined May 2010
  • Birmingham
    • Knight Pet Supplies
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2011, 06:58:03 pm »
Here is a picture of the damage........... thanks for your input by the way.

It's unlikely to be rabbits as we are in the middle of a housing estate and there have been no signs of droppings etc.
The rest....I don't know. See what you think.

Ian
Ian (me), Diane (my wife) and 4 dogs. Ollie (Lab mix) , Quest (Malamute), Gazer and Boris (Leonbergers)

darkbrowneggs

• Joined Aug 2010
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2011, 07:09:15 pm »
Can pigeons get in at all?

Sue

For lots of info about Marans and how to breed and look after them see www.darkbrowneggs.info

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2011, 02:07:10 am »
Looks like pigeons to me and they will strip them bare  :o

OhLaLa

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2011, 12:44:50 pm »
Slugs, snails... could be pigeons - can they get in?

Have you lifted the leaves at night and looked under them with a torch? Some bugs/caterpillars are very small and often the same colour as the leaf.

Cabbage Maggots

Cabbage maggots begin their cycle in the early spring, when small grey flies emerge from an inch beneath the soil and begin laying eggs. In less than a week, quarter-inch yellowish maggots hatch and begin feeding.

Cabbage Flea Beetle

Flea beetles are about the size of a pinhead (but these leave tiny holes in the leaves so unlikely it is this).

Only other thing that springs to mind are leaf cutter insects.

I notice you have a uniform little 'nick' in several of the possibly 'cut' areas, have you tried google to see if you can match the photo?

:ladybug:

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2011, 03:13:04 pm »
That little nick (well spotted)  looks like where a pigeons beak has snapped down, and to either side is where it has torn off the piece of leaf.  The pieces are too big for a leaf cutter - unless you have humungous ones down there  ;D
Another thing with caterpillars is that they leave behind them piles of green mushy droppings, usually to be seen down at the leaf/stalk junction.
To keep pigeons off I have resorted to mesh coverings, over hoops (made of blue water pipe) You can try dangling CDs from poles, so they flash in the sun, or making a scarecrow, or leaving the dogs amongst the veggies - but realistically covering them is the only sure way.

darkbrowneggs

• Joined Aug 2010
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2011, 03:45:18 pm »
Got some veggies in the greenhouse that seem to be being mulla'h by caterpillocks....... I've tried to catch them in the act so that the chooks can have a meal but they are never around. Been out all times of day and night but with no success.
Any advice?

Cheers,

Ian

You mention these are in a greenhouse.  If the doors are shut presumably pigeons cannot get in ........but......what about your chooks???  Could they be the culprits?  It wouldn't take long for one hen to do that. ;D

all the best
Sue

knightquest

• Joined May 2010
  • Birmingham
    • Knight Pet Supplies
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2011, 04:42:07 pm »
Neither pigeons or chooks can get in................This plant is right in the corner of the greenhouse and there is a plant about a foot away that is untouched! Hope I haven't jinxed it  ::)

I have been out at night with a torch both at dusk and 1am.....no joy. I will try to match the nick so to speak to see if anything comes up. This has taken about a month to get to this state. I haven't seen and wouldn't expect to see any slug trails but the damage seems to be too big for really small critters to do.

Very frustrating!

Thanks for your info again...

Ian

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2011, 10:58:20 pm »
As exam invigilators say - read the question - silly me  ;D ::).  Ian - you will have to set up a motion camera as we have to know the answer to this  :D

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2011, 09:25:51 pm »
same damage here in the tunnel - my verdict - SLUGS :&>

knightquest

• Joined May 2010
  • Birmingham
    • Knight Pet Supplies
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2011, 08:23:25 pm »
Gawd bless my Chooks!

Usually lock 'em up about 6 ish. Forgot tonight so went up at 8................. Only found a caterpillar on the plant didn't I?
He is now an ex caterpillar and I feel GOOD!!!!

That plant is almost gone now so I suspect that there are more but it was good to find out what was eating it. How do you kill these b*st**ds though?

Ian

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS