Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Cart wanted  (Read 6312 times)

AngusB

• Joined Jul 2010
Cart wanted
« on: January 29, 2011, 02:03:04 pm »
I'm hunting for a farm cart for my sturdy 13.2 pony. There seem to be lots of exercise carts out there, but I'd really need something with a decent size of wheel to cope with rough paddocks and potholed tracks. (I live in Argyll after all!) I'd be happy to collect as far south as Carlisle or thereabouts, and I'd repair anything from a pair of wheels upwards!

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
Re: Cart wanted
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2011, 03:23:26 pm »
Have you tried Dragon Driving, they sometimes have working type carts on their sales page.

AngusB

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2011, 05:54:35 pm »
Thanks, but I've tried DD many times to no avail !

daddymatty82

• Joined Aug 2010
  • swindon
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2011, 08:46:04 pm »
im in the same boat im trying to find a cart for my young filly as im breaking her soon but to no avail

acresareace123

• Joined Mar 2010
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2011, 09:19:07 pm »
have u looked at the ones in the robinsons catalogue online?

VSS

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Pen Llyn
    • Viable Self Sufficiency.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2011, 10:08:59 am »
The SHEEP Book for Smallholders
Available from the Good Life Press

www.viableselfsufficiency.co.uk

divanp75

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Caithness
    • Scotshaven
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2011, 12:02:33 pm »

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2011, 02:47:26 pm »
I love this but it's very expensive as you have the implements to add as well and I couldn't spend that much money without seeing it in action. And there doesn't seem to be any in Scotland. I did speak to the inventor, Simon?, about doing a demo in Scotland but nothing ever came of it.

VSS

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Pen Llyn
    • Viable Self Sufficiency.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2011, 01:50:20 pm »
Simon is the archetypal mad inventor.

Try talking to Nick Sanders - www.rowanoaklivery.co.uk. He is now doing all the marketing and distributing. Also, it is possible he may be at the smallholder festival. I think you said you were planning to go.
The SHEEP Book for Smallholders
Available from the Good Life Press

www.viableselfsufficiency.co.uk

lazybee

• Joined Mar 2010
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2011, 02:53:37 pm »
I would never be suckered into buying one of those. I see them as a novelty. They are advertised as a leap forward?? don't forget horse vehicles have been perfected over thousands of years. For someone to come along with something that looks like that is a bit rich. Sitting on a bike seat is evolution?? I noticed it's got very little ground clearance; not much use in mud of uneven ground. Believe it or not, if you lose control of your pony you pull a rip cord and off he goes ?wot? I think people would be tempted to put a 'green' pony in it and have a false sense of security. The inventor is very hostile the "establishment" and says things like "well known stuffy attitudes" what ever does that mean. Just because someone else has a different opinion, he's taken to attacking.
What would you use it for? A small pony isn't strong enough for work on a smallholding. I've used my own Shetland for carting small log loads, but that's about his limit. I don't see myself as part of any establishment or having a stuffy attitude. two of my vehicles have hydraulic disc brakes and independent suspension, is that stuffy?. It's human nature to go for something a bit different, but in this case it's an expensive experiment.

My latest addition is a Normandy cob. He is the ideal horse for a smallholding. He can do a little ploughing and harrowing and be generally useful around the place.

jinglejoys

• Joined Jul 2009
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2011, 06:39:04 pm »

People drove horses for thousands of years but now they drive cars,just because its new doesn't mean its wrong or we'd all be driving around in Austin Sevens ::)

" The inventor is very hostile the "establishment" and says things like "well known stuffy attitudes" what ever does that mean."...just think you've proved his point! :)
   Blue was a pasture ornement for 10yrs because "Them Wot Does It Proper" made me drive in a conventional "trap" with blinkers so that she was nervous and we had no connection,and tied her mouth up so she could not put her tongue over the bit,and of coarse I had to take a groom with me everytime I set foot out of the door which was impossible.The vehicle is no more expensive than many of the "traps" that are for sale by the well known companies that seem terrified of competition.
   I would never use anything else I don't feel safe in a "trap" and Blue is a new mule now as we can go anywhere in it

faith0504

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Cairngorms
  • take it easy and chill
    • blaemuir cottage
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2011, 06:43:35 pm »
nice picture  :wave:

lazybee

• Joined Mar 2010
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2011, 05:24:53 am »
Driving vehicle technology hasn't stood still. There are, and always have been improvements a couple of mine are bang up to date. So why has the maker gone off on a tangent like this, it's odd. It's like the equine equivalent of a Sinclair C5. I am 100% not, part of the formal driving brigade or 'establishment' and use my horses/donkey for leisure a lot of pleasure ;D and light work. TBH I can't see much practical use for the chariot. If it was any use I'd be the first to sing its praises. If someone wants one for light exercise on even ground then it could fulfill your needs. I don't know how it can be marketed as useful on a smallholding? The most useful horse tool on a smallholding is without doubt is a general purpose cart. We've had ours deep in the woods picking up logs I'd cut earlier with a chain saw, loaded with fence posts and fencing, taking rocks down to a ford and loaded with horse muck. As for blinkers that depends on their temperament not what's behind them. My Icelandic (RIP Vinnie) or donkey never needed blinkers, all the others do. I am not in any way a Luddite or stuck in my ways and will continue to look at all new innovations objectively and without bias.

P.S. I never have a groom either, but that doesn't mean I'm less safe than a saddle chariot user. If people enjoy theirs, great. Useful on a small holding I can't see how.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2011, 02:30:47 pm »
I've seen it used as a hitch cart pulling an implement behind it, but only in photos.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS