Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Not laying still during the winter  (Read 7208 times)

littlechick

• Joined Jan 2011
Not laying still during the winter
« on: January 28, 2011, 12:59:22 pm »
Hiya

My light sussex and blue marran that I bought last May (they were 19 weeks then) they both produced two eggs a day until November when they were both in Moult  ::)  so knew then that my egg days were on hold!

Now they finished moult through december (now with full beautiful feathers!) But they still are not laying  :-\
They look really well and both are eating well and even with the meal worm they still will not give me some eggies!

Is this normal around this time of year?

Will they lay again  :'(

BlueDaisy

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Grow your own - veg and chooks!
Re: Not laying still during the winter
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2011, 01:42:05 pm »
yes, it's normal and yes they will lay again - in their own time! ;D

OhLaLa

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2011, 02:01:13 pm »
All is well. Your girls will start to lay again.

:chook:  :farmer:

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2011, 06:49:23 pm »
As of three days ago I'm getting three eggs a day from 7 layers, from absolutely zilch for the last month and only the occasional one before that.  My two youngsters may start soon, and I have one passenger - but as she's called Lucky she can stay as long as she likes. ;) ;D ;D
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

littlechick

• Joined Jan 2011
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2011, 07:15:07 pm »
FEW!  :D

I hope they lay soon then... I resent buying them from the shop (and they are not earning their keep  ::)) good job I love them  ;D

Wow would love more than two.. 7 seems like a good number!  ;)

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2011, 09:04:02 pm »
FEW!  :D

I hope they lay soon then... I resent buying them from the shop (and they are not earning their keep  ::)) good job I love them  ;D

Wow would love more than two.. 7 seems like a good number!  ;)
I've got 10 - 3 Light Sussex as well, but I don't think they are laying yet.  It's the ex batts that are doing the job! ;D ;D ;D
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2011, 10:28:53 pm »
mine have started again about  3 weeks ago but it might depend on the breed too how long their break is. And on the individual, lol. the ducks will not start before February.  :chook: :&>

benkt

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Cambridgeshire
    • Hempsals Community Farm
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2011, 11:27:59 pm »
My LS have been going steadily all winter, but the Marans always stop Nov-Feb (ish) I've started getting the odd Marans egg now again but only one a week (from 4 hens).

tazbabe

• Joined Aug 2010
  • ayrshire
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2011, 07:06:24 am »
i have 11 hens and am getting 1 - 3 eggs a day at present. to be fair, 5 of them haven't started laying yet, i think they have delayed their pol because of the winter, they should have started laying about 2 months ago.

i love having them all around, even if their not too productive right now.

spring is just around the corner now!
you may light another's candle from your own without loss

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2011, 11:50:32 am »
And you don't just want them to be laying machines. Unless they have a real problem I think they live longer if they don't get forced to lay, e.g. with light in the dark season. :chook: :&>

Pony-n-trap

• Joined Jul 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2011, 12:10:59 pm »
My ducks stopped laying on the shortest day and are still in moult.  Bantams stopped about end of November but started again on 2nd Jan which suprised me, have had an egg a day or everyother day, then 2 per day and am now up to 3 per day, one of my chickens fell in the pond on Wed and drowned and I knew she was a layer but obviously the others are coming in now, judging by the amount of jumping on my cockerel(s) do they are certainly ready.

NB, If I dont sell a couple of trios within the next couple of weeks, there will be only one cockerel, just have to decide who will be the lucky boy!

morri2

• Joined Jun 2008
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2011, 05:41:13 pm »
My 12 layers were producing a pathetic 1 to 3 eggs a day at the start of the winter (ie: nights drawing in).  Saw from a post on this site that some keepers were giving warm porridge to their hens in the cold weather - so I started to give them around 400grams of porridge oats, mixed with hot water between the 12 of them and the cockerel (let it cool a bit first obviously!!), in addition to their usual feed.   I also changed their feed from layers pellets to layers mash at the same time - low and behold - within days the egg production shot up to 4, 5 then 6 then 7 and now usually 8 to 10 eggs a day.  Not sure whether its the change from pellets to mash or the porridge or both!  But it worked!!! :D

littlechick

• Joined Jan 2011
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2011, 07:13:44 pm »
Porridge!  :D wow we have that for breakfast every morning! I shall give it ago  ;)

Thank you everyone, and I don't see them as laying machines... its just nice when they are laying  ;)

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2011, 07:16:32 pm »
I didn't mean you, littlechick  ;), that was a general "you" ! :) :)  :&>

littlechick

• Joined Jan 2011
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2011, 07:20:16 pm »
 :D thats ok !

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS