Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Tag type?  (Read 2585 times)

Helencus

• Joined Feb 2010
  • NW Leicestershire
Tag type?
« on: January 26, 2011, 08:42:27 pm »
Hi I have to tag soon and I'm wondering ate the polyurethane and aluminium tags ok for the abbatoir? It says they are in the blurb but I thought they had to be metal.

oaklandspigs

• Joined Nov 2009
  • East Sussex
    • OaklandsPigs
Re: Tag type?
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2011, 09:53:13 pm »
Hi I have to tag soon and I'm wondering ate the polyurethane and aluminium tags ok for the abbatoir? It says they are in the blurb but I thought they had to be metal.
Technically they have to be able to survive the scald process.
Some plastic tags can, but of course the abattoir cannot tell just from looking at them which can survive and which can't, so generally are not happy unless they are clearly metal.
Which blurb from which manufacturer are you looking at?
www.Oaklandspigs.co.uk
"Perfect Pigs" the complete guide to keeping pigs; One Day Pig Courses in South East;
Weaners for sale - Visit our site for details

manian

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2011, 09:59:19 pm »
we went to the abbatoir on monday and they clearly said only metal will do. when i phoned around one sid didn't want tags only slapmarks......

Helencus

• Joined Feb 2010
  • NW Leicestershire
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2011, 10:11:48 pm »
The blurb was on eBay tagger from tagsRus in Cornwall saw it on a post here.

HappyHippy

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2011, 10:20:52 pm »
Every abbetoir is different Helen - best to check with the one you'll be using.
For the piglets you're selling - if folk want them registered it'll be the plastic button tags you need to apply (both ears if you're not notching) and for any that aren't to be registered they can move (as weaners) off your farm with a temporary paint mark.
It's seperate pliers for the metal and plastic tags (unless there's an all-in-one I don't know about maybe ?) and Fearing's are good and give discount to BPA members, alternativly I think supplies for smallholders on here do tags in smaller quantities.
HTH
Karen x

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2011, 10:12:28 pm »
Hi,

Technically (from DEFRA) they can be either double tagged with metal tags, or slapmarked on each shoulder for slaughter.

If transporting to another holding on a temp paint mark (under 12 months old) dont use red, as this is designated for slaughter animals.

Thanks
www.suppliesforsmallholders.co.uk - Safe Secure shopping for all your livestock equipment and supplies.
Also www.suppliesforfarmers.co.uk for more larger farm related items

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS