Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Hello from South-west wales  (Read 6184 times)

welshlass181

• Joined Jan 2011
Hello from South-west wales
« on: January 26, 2011, 05:45:36 pm »
Hi, we are taking over a 2.5 acre field that we want to get back to organic meadow to cut it for hay.  We are trying to do it without the use of tractors or any heavy machinery on the field.  We want to use pigs to turn the land and then we're going to seed it by hand and then roll it with either a quad or our little sec a pony.  The hay will be used to feed any livestock we have.  We want to be as self sufficient as possible and grow some veg for the family and for the piggies.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2011, 06:19:53 pm by welshlass181 »

faith0504

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Cairngorms
  • take it easy and chill
    • blaemuir cottage
Re: Hello from Wouth-west wales
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2011, 05:48:11 pm »
hi and welcome from moray  :wave: good luck with your plans

welshlass181

• Joined Jan 2011
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2011, 05:54:23 pm »
Thank you x

dyedinthewool

• Joined Jul 2010
  • Orpingtons and assorted Sheep
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2011, 05:57:24 pm »
Hi welshlass Welcome to the forum :wave: :wave:

I'm also from West Wales - lots of infor and friendly guy and girls on here ;) ;)
You are never to old to learn something new

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2011, 06:05:58 pm »
Hi and welcome, please please please dont be insulted, but having seen a lot of people here who keep pigs and grow a few mangleworzels or equivalent, for them, which they think will feed them from piglets to table, please dont forget to buy in some protein for them too.  Hope you are not insulted, just had a bad day rescuing a sow and piglets

welshlass181

• Joined Jan 2011
Re: Hello from South-west wales
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2011, 06:15:32 pm »
No no i don't mean that i am going to feed them soley on veg :( I shall be buying proper food for them too.  I've been in touch with the local council (the guy nearly wet himself when i mentioned pigs) who has told me what i should and should not do re feeding and the paperwork.  What i was thinking about it the first year that i have the veggie patch going i'd grow a lot of bits and bobs and all the first years crop would be for the animals and a supplement to the pellets/pig food that they would have all the time. 

Ps not insulted at all and i appreciate the advise  :D
« Last Edit: January 26, 2011, 06:20:26 pm by welshlass181 »

OhLaLa

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2011, 07:27:30 pm »
It might be organic already - just because it doesn't have the necessary piece of paper doesn't mean it is not organic.

I think what you have in mind is an interesting subject but an awful lot of hard work.

welshlass181

• Joined Jan 2011
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2011, 08:52:29 pm »
The reason we are doing it this way is if we have the heavy machines on it the ground will conpact down and more rushes will grow  :-[ we won't be making it organic to sell anything per sey just to make the land better.  With the pigs turning the field they'll poo on it to fertilise it as they go and when we re-seed it it'll help out.

morri2

• Joined Jun 2008
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2011, 09:33:13 pm »
Hi!  just pointing out on a previous post that we could do with more Welsh people on the site - then your post appeared - amazing!!!  Anyway, good luck and welcome to the site from the north of the Principality. :wave:

welshlass181

• Joined Jan 2011
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2011, 09:37:21 pm »
Hi!  just pointing out on a previous post that we could do with more Welsh people on the site - then your post appeared - amazing!!!  Anyway, good luck and welcome to the site from the north of the Principality. :wave:

Glad i could fulfill ur post :) thank you

Blinkers

• Joined Jan 2008
  • Carmarthenshire
  • Carmarthenshire/Pembrokeshire border
    • Glyn Elwyn - Faithmead Herd
    • Facebook
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2011, 10:41:14 pm »
Hello from sunny South West Wales too  ;D ;D

whereabouts are you in SW wales?  :pig:
Did you ever stop to think, and forget to start again !!
www.glynelwyn.co.uk

Tudful Tamworths

• Joined Aug 2009
    • Liz's website
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2011, 03:40:07 pm »
Hello Welshlass

Welcome to the forum. I've replied to your query in the pigs section re. getting pigs to turn over the ground.

You seemed to think you would't be able too find Tamworths in south-west Wales. Well, there are, indeed, Tamworth breeders in your neck of the woods.

Although I'm in south-east Wales (Caerphilly), I've sold breeding stock to two people in Carmarthenshire in the past years. One breeder  has just had two January litters - one from a gilt I sold to them which was covered by a young boar (now sold to a breeder in Devon).

If you need contacts, please let me know. I'm also on the committee of the Tamworth Breeders' Club, should - or anyone else - have any Tamworth-related queries.

Good luck with your plans.
Liz
www.lizshankland.com www.biggingerpigs.com
Author of the Haynes Pig Manual, Haynes Smallholding Manual, and the Haynes Sheep Manual. Three times winner of the Tamworth Champion of Champions. Teaching smallholding courses at Kate Humble's farm: www.humblebynature.com

welshlass181

• Joined Jan 2011
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2011, 06:30:11 pm »
Hello from sunny South West Wales too  ;D ;D

whereabouts are you in SW wales?  :pig:

We live near Crosshands  ;D

welshlass181

• Joined Jan 2011
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2011, 06:31:05 pm »
Hello Welshlass

Welcome to the forum. I've replied to your query in the pigs section re. getting pigs to turn over the ground.

You seemed to think you would't be able too find Tamworths in south-west Wales. Well, there are, indeed, Tamworth breeders in your neck of the woods.

Although I'm in south-east Wales (Caerphilly), I've sold breeding stock to two people in Carmarthenshire in the past years. One breeder  has just had two January litters - one from a gilt I sold to them which was covered by a young boar (now sold to a breeder in Devon).

If you need contacts, please let me know. I'm also on the committee of the Tamworth Breeders' Club, should - or anyone else - have any Tamworth-related queries.

Good luck with your plans.
Liz

Brilliant :) will defo look into it more when the land is ready for said piggies thank you

The Woodsiders

• Joined Aug 2011
  • Near Horley in Surrey
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2011, 09:02:16 am »
Welcome from a not so sunny West Sussex, good luck with your project, the pigs will certainly turn over the ground for you.
 :pig:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS