Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: cockeral  (Read 4426 times)

monty

• Joined Jul 2008
cockeral
« on: November 22, 2008, 07:18:44 pm »
bought some new pullets last week no eggs was wondering if its cause i got an old cockeral running with them

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: cockeral
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2008, 07:31:21 pm »
Shouldn't think that'd make any difference.  I've always had cockerels in with mine whatever age they are. Never stopped them laying - what age and breed are your pullets?  Might not be at POL yet - or maybe just too cold!
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

monty

• Joined Jul 2008
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2008, 07:38:58 pm »
there warrens mate 21 week should have started by now must be the cock

Castle Farm

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Hereford/Powys Border. near Hay-on-Wye
    • castlefarmeggs
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2008, 09:40:21 pm »
Hello Monty.
Having a cock in with them will cut down a bit on any bullying, as he usually steps in and sorts it.
Couple of possibilities re no eggs yet.
They are not quite in lay due to age and the fact that the light levels and daylight hours are short.
Pullets should have been hatched by late march to start into lay in the same year.
The pituitary gland in a hens brain controls do a degree her laying pattern and that gland is effected by daylight.(That's why indoor housed layers have extended artificial lighting systems in the houses).
Give them a while to adjust to the new surroundings and possible change of feed.Do not feed any layers pellets until after they have started to lay as it can cause prolapse if feed to pullets to early in their lives.
Traditional Utility Breed Hatching Eggs sent next day delivery. Pure bred Llyen Sheep.
www.castlefarmeggs.co.uk  http://www.facebook.com/pages/Utility-Poultry-Keepers/231571570247281

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2008, 09:59:04 am »
Hi, Monty

It's not the presence of the cockerel. It's daylength and age, as Castle Farm says.

I also like having a cockerel running with the hens. 1) I like the look of them, 2) I like the crowing, 3) he looks after his hens and sorts out bullying 4) if the fox comes, he gets it first. Which is a bit sick, I know.

monty

• Joined Jul 2008
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2008, 01:39:18 pm »
oh no i just sretched him aswell ??? ???

Castle Farm

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Hereford/Powys Border. near Hay-on-Wye
    • castlefarmeggs
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2008, 01:40:47 pm »
Doooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhh!
Traditional Utility Breed Hatching Eggs sent next day delivery. Pure bred Llyen Sheep.
www.castlefarmeggs.co.uk  http://www.facebook.com/pages/Utility-Poultry-Keepers/231571570247281

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2008, 02:09:12 am »
That'll teach you to check here first and take the advice on here.  Hope he tasted nice! ;)
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS