Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Pigs & fencing  (Read 2618 times)

TG

• Joined Oct 2009
Pigs & fencing
« on: January 26, 2011, 01:23:14 pm »
I have noticed the latest additions are busy chewing the fence posts. They are 4 month old OSB gilts. Are they missing something from their diet ? They are being fed on organic grower / finisher plus a few apples left over from last autumn.

Thanks
TG

OhLaLa

• Joined Sep 2010
Re: Pigs & fencing
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2011, 01:55:16 pm »
Pigs love to entertain themselves, chewing and destroying stuff passes a few hours. With me it's their arks they destroy.

You could try popping a bale of straw in there (no baler twine!) so they can pull that apart.

:pig:

JulieS

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Devon - EX39 5RF
    • Ford Mill Farm
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2011, 02:30:20 pm »
Some of mine like to play football.....Make sure they are really tough balls though.

Pedigree GOS Pigs and Butchery for Smallholders.

Eve

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2011, 03:08:29 pm »
You could try a horseball (snak-a-ball) to keep them busy for a bit, they come with an extra lid and last for ages (ours was attached to the ark to stop it from rolling under the electric fence), and a bale of straw will indeed give them a few hours of fun.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2011, 03:10:07 pm by Eve »

HappyHippy

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2011, 04:37:30 pm »
Echo everyone else - snak-a-ball and bales are great ! Also if you've got some extra fence posts knock them in tightly together and bind at the top with rope instand scratching/chewing post, without risking damage to your fences  ;)

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2011, 06:07:56 pm »
A good heavy tree branch and a couple of tyres also make good toys. 

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS