Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Rural living and finding somewhere suitable  (Read 5372 times)

littlechick

• Joined Jan 2011
Rural living and finding somewhere suitable
« on: January 25, 2011, 10:31:04 pm »
Hello!  :wave:

Long time lurker of the forum and thought maybe that one of you guys maybe able to help!

I am currently trying to find a rented property like a farm etc so that there would be  space to grow own food and have a small amount of livestock (goats, pigs and even considering small fish farming ie ponds etc)

I have looked on the usual rightmove etc, but was wondering if anyone had any ideas where else I can look?

It has to be rented as there is no way we would get a mortgage  :-[.

I am looking around Devon area, more Totnes way. We really want to give the self sufficient life a good go and have the oppportunity to move before my daughter starts school!

We came to the conclusion that a city area is just not what we want and prefer to be in a more rural setting.

Thanks  :bouquet:

Sandy

Re: Rural living and finding somewhere suitable
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2011, 10:39:32 pm »
Hi, we were buying a house very near Liskard as we both used to go to Devon and Cornwall all the time, when the sale of our house fell through twice we lost the one in Devon, it was a picture postcard house next to woodland BUT, we came to Scotland, first rented and it is our idle, so much space and less people, maybe you could find a rural property here easier, I looked at Galbraith and the rural property index, but I was very strongly pulled by Devon and Cornwall. Maybe you should look at Land agents and farmers markets etc, I got a job in Haveleigh with a tied cottage but in the end did not take it, just take a think about where    you would see rural houses, even drop in at rural post offices and shops....GOOD LUCK!!

littlechick

• Joined Jan 2011
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2011, 10:45:56 pm »
Ooo thank you, will have a look into markets etc.

As for moving up North, we couldn't. I still want to be close to family (well close enough with nomore than 2 hours drive!) and we would be too far away up there  :) if we didn't have ties to Devon then I would certainly think about it!

Sandy

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2011, 10:49:33 pm »
I have family in the midlands, the links and roads are better and less traffic up here, where we were going to live would have been very dodgy in the summer or tourest season, up here the road links are great. We got the idea of Scotland from Location Location Location and so glad we did. There is also the local Gumtree for rental but they are usualy more normal homes, a friend of our family moved into a local land owners unused farm house with a bit of land!!

Hermit

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2011, 10:57:51 pm »
Generally the further North you go the cheaper. We got 40 acres , outbuildings, two bed house for 40 grand seven years ago.But we are in Shetland and even prices up here have gone up , a good sized croft and house goes from around upwards of 150 grand now.Renting is dodgy as you are improving someone elses property all the time. Rural Scene are good but if you go on to an internet property search site they cover all etate agents.

littlechick

• Joined Jan 2011
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2011, 11:03:20 pm »
I had considerd Wales, but my partner is not keen. I do love Devon though as its where I have grown up..... although Scotland is appealing.

Friends of mine are looking to buy land and build eco houses... but im not that brave!  :D

Yes I have searched gumtree, but as you say more 'normal' homes  :D

I am certainly not looking to live in a tourist town... but being not too far from one is fine with me.

I will have another look at moving more north but it upsets me a little when I have only just recently established a relationship with my family and seeing them often is important (lived in the midlands for 5 years) so its a tough one.

I know renting is not ideal but there is no way we would get a mortgage, I know this 100% and have no choice.  :(

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2011, 08:39:59 am »
I have a friend who lives in an estate house, (rented) in Dorset and another who rents from National Trust.  Both have large gardens.  Might be worth enquiring

Susie

• Joined Apr 2010
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2011, 09:46:43 am »
If you have identified specific areas in Devon that you want to move to try talking to and maybe placing adverts in local shops? We spent nearly two years looking to buy some land in Wales and couldn't find anything through the estate agents. In the end we were there on holiday and a lady who worked in the post office put us in touch with someone who was looking to sell a few small fields - exactly what we were looking for! We have a community shop locally and there are sometimes adverts in there for farmhouses - it seems some people are looking to rent their property without agents taking a cut of the rental for management fees. Also, if you can find a house that you like you may be able to rent a piece of land nearby?

faith0504

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Cairngorms
  • take it easy and chill
    • blaemuir cottage
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2011, 09:55:34 am »
hi and welcome from moray, good luck with your search  :wave:

Daveravey

• Joined Jul 2009
  • Fife
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2011, 12:32:27 pm »
Keep an eye on greenshifters.co.uk

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2011, 12:56:13 pm »
Hi Littlechick and welcome!

good luck with your hunt for the perfect home  :)  took us 3 years to find this one and I am so happy we did. Yes, the whole house needs gutting but we have ages to do that, no hurry. we now have chickens, goats, rabbits, and borrow sheep sometimes! the children love it so do I

Lisa
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

JulieS

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Devon - EX39 5RF
    • Ford Mill Farm
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2011, 01:10:13 pm »
Welcome and good luck with finding the right home.

It's worth talking to Estate Agents local to where you would like to live.   I found that they often know of places that are available, but the owners don't want to have them advertised for whatever reason.

Pedigree GOS Pigs and Butchery for Smallholders.

littlechick

• Joined Jan 2011
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2011, 12:31:58 pm »
Thank you all very much for your help!   :) I certainky have lots to look at and do.

We are going to go to the local post offices over the next month and put ads up  ;D

I really hope we find our dream home!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS