Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Hello from Finland!  (Read 3304 times)

suomi

• Joined Nov 2008
Hello from Finland!
« on: November 21, 2008, 03:52:48 pm »
we have a small holding, with 8 sheep,20 chickens and 5 cats, and a huge area for growing our own veggies.
this is the first year of living this lifstyle, its been a large learning curve, not only with the animals but also the language!  we are learning by doing, it doesnt always work out the way we would like it but!... thats fine.
its great to log on here feel free to ask questions and read all the great ifo available.
just to let you know we are now in winter mode,loads of snow.... makes life so much more interesting! :)
Im looking forward to reading and also hopefully contributing.
Nikki

carole

• Joined Oct 2007
Re: Hello from Finland!
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2008, 04:04:51 pm »
Hello and welcome from Brittany, France

Carole

HappyHippy

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2008, 05:29:43 pm »
Hello,
From a cold (but not as cold as you!) and wet scotland !
Look forward to hearing all about your goings on.
Karen  :pig:

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2008, 06:52:09 pm »
Hi and welcome. I don't think we've had any Scandanavian based members yet!

kaz

• Joined Jul 2008
  • Ceredigion
  • Dust yourself off when life throws you down.
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2008, 06:52:44 pm »
Hello from me to. Where do you keep the sheep over winter as it is definately colder there than Wales.
Hope you know everyone here will try to help if you have any problems.

Kaz
Penybont Ryelands. Ystwyth Coloured Ryelands.  2 alpacas, 2 angora goats, 2 anglo nubian kids, 3golden retrievers a collie and a red fox labrador retriever, geese, ducks & chickens.

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2008, 06:14:09 am »
Hi and welcome, would it be too cold for outdoor pigs there? 

pigsatlesrues

• Joined Oct 2008
  • Normandy, France
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2008, 09:58:12 am »
Hello from a cold and wet Normandy.  We have a Finish girl on our Mangalizta Forum -www.mangalitzafr.forumotion.net/

She has a smallholding and keeps Mangalitza pigs which are the super duper pigs for extreme cold conditions because of their wooley coats.  She got hers from a German couple who also have a smallholding with their Mangalitza pigs.  I have no idea of distances in Finland, but her website link is on her details on the forum, so you may be able to link up!!

Welcome to TAS anyway.

Kate  :pig:

Bonjour et avoir un bon jour !

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2008, 03:56:26 pm »
Hello from the snow and gale force winds off Banffshire in North East of Scotland  :)

suomi

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2008, 06:27:29 pm »
Thanks for the warm welcome  :)
we have native Finnish sheep and they are oh so happy to be out in the cold,  they now have access to a shed as we are really in winter mode now, we dont shut them up as they are happy to wander around field and forest. they are looking healthy on oats, hay and haylage.
We had pigs last year and had them slaughtered (home kill) around mid november, there was snow on the ground and it was around minus 7oc.it would be expensive to over winter them.
 Kate thanks for the link to the mangalitza forum ,we are really interested in the Mangalitza pigs as they are cold friendly and it would be great to talk to someone who lives here in Finland.
thanks everyone ;)

Viohna

• Joined Jun 2010
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2010, 03:56:56 pm »
Hi Nikki,

I am moving to Finland in July 2010 and planning to start a smallholding. I was wondering if we could chat? Surely I need to pick your brains but I can offer enthusiasm for this kind of venture in return! ;D I will be based in Varsinais-Suomi. It will be nice to connect with like minded native Brits as well even if its just for a Koskenkorva! :wave:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS