Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: urgent help needed  (Read 2076 times)

john2708

• Joined Jan 2011
urgent help needed
« on: January 27, 2011, 05:15:51 pm »
hi i need help as you may know from my other post my pygmy goat gave berth at the beginning of january well today her sister gave birth but she did it in the field not her hut she is younger than the preivouse goat  and her baby is tiny iv put mum and baby in there hut and iv seen baby feed for a few minuets but the baby isnt very sturdy on her feet and keeps falling over unlike my other 2 babys which were strong form the offset its getting cold tonight were i am and i dont know if i should bring the baby in or leave her with her mum iv put plenty of straw in with mum and baby  and i dont know what else to do. Also mum has only had the one baby but here belly is doing alot of twitching and going in and out could she being having another ??? thanks for any help given

faith0504

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Cairngorms
  • take it easy and chill
    • blaemuir cottage
Re: urgent help needed
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2011, 05:54:16 pm »
i know nothing about goats, but my thoughts are with you and hope anything turns out ok, im sure someone with more knowledge will belong soon :wave:

HappyHippy

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2011, 05:58:28 pm »
I don't know much about goats, but with most, if not all, animals it's better to leave them with mum - especially if they're feeding. I suspect you'll be out and in checking on mummy goat tonight anyway, so just keep an eye on the wee one and if it's condition changes or it looks distressed make the decision then. But for now, leave them to it.
As for the goat's belly twitching, I'm not sure how long it normally takes between babies in goats, but in pigs if it's any more than about an hour it's a sign that something might be wrong - piglet stuck, wrong way round, stillborn etc - hopefully some of the experienced keepers will be along soon to tell you for sure how to proceed.
HTH
Karen x

Brucklay

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Perthshire
    • Brucklay Pygmy Goats
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2011, 07:10:05 pm »
Hi John
Hope things are working out - we use heat lamps for a week just to give the kids a good start, best to keep the kids with Mum, usually once the first kid has been born the 2nd (if there is one) should be about within 30min - mine were about 5mins after first. Mum's can still have very large bellies - I've seen ones that still look very pregnant 2 days after kidding - if you want a chat give me a call 01771 613826
Pygmy Goats, Shetland Sheep, Zip & Indie the Border Collies, BeeBee the cat and a wreak of a building to renovate!!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS