Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: introduce yourself, you say. what if we are shy, or suspicious?  (Read 4206 times)

johnmaddox

• Joined Nov 2008
introduce yourself, you say. what if we are shy, or suspicious?
« on: November 20, 2008, 08:43:07 pm »
mmm- well here it is folks. we potter about like the rest of you, thrall to the scottish rain, the mares tails taking over like they were tryfidds, wading in bishop weed, befriended by slugs, cabbage whites, wasps and collared doves.  tho the doos arent actually here at the moment- do they come back later in the year?
     Does anyone realistically cost out their smallholding  activities? why is it so much easier to buy milk up at the shop rather than milk the goat? lets end with the comic jingle about condensed milk
                  ...................milk is the best in the land
           here i sit with a can in my hand
           no tits to pull, no hay to pitch
           you just punch a hole in the son of a bitch.

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
Re: introduce yourself, you say. what if we are shy, or suspicious?
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2008, 08:12:23 am »
Hi Johnmaddox,
Nice to "meet you".  Doubt anyone ever really makes much money out of smallholding unless the subsidies over there are better than here.  Then I guess you would spend so much on ink for filling out the forms it would negate the bonus anyway.

For most of us its either a way of life or an alternative to the 40 odd hours a week spent in the office with the coronory inducing stress.  Get in there with a pig brings it all down to earth.

garden cottage

• Joined Sep 2008
  • forest of dean
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2008, 12:12:06 am »
Hi john love the jingle, welcome to the forum,.........neil

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2008, 03:58:10 pm »
Hi, nice to hear from you  :)

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2008, 05:48:18 pm »
Hi and welcome to the TAS forums. We're in Alloa so close to you and I think we have some mutual friends.

And your goats scared the sh*t out of my horse once!

Fluffywelshsheep

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Near Stirling, Central Scotland
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2008, 02:51:43 pm »
hiya from fws,

am in tullibody
was suffering from the flu, now got a stupid cough and yucky fleem (sorry if a bit to much details)
Linz

sandy

« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2008, 05:31:43 pm »
Hello, I would love more land and be a bit more self sufficiant but I only have three hens and although I like having them, I don't think they are cost effective just yet.
I am sure everyone on this forum at least will agree, getting a bit of mud on your wellies and seeing your food grow gives you much more than financial reward, it gives you a basic sense of nature and the cycle of life, and when you feel a bit down the open air is a good pick me up.
Welcome ,Sandy

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2008, 02:12:48 am »
Wel, as I said I joined Hugh F-W's Landshare scheme, so as nothing has happened why don't you use my garden?  It just needs a section fenced off and grass dug up, and it has it's own gate.  There's half an acre at teh font so you could have almost a quarter of that if you want.  Linz might like to help and I'm quite happy to pitch in too.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2008, 11:08:09 pm »
Hi John-

Nice to see you found your way here.

Beth

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS