Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Prospective Mums Have Arrived (now with photo)  (Read 7480 times)

OhLaLa

• Joined Sep 2010
Prospective Mums Have Arrived (now with photo)
« on: January 23, 2011, 12:17:50 pm »
Well, the prospective mums have arrived. First thing they did was run out of the trailer and head for the grass like they'd never seen any.

Shortly afterwards they nearly knocked us over and tipped the food out of the feed bucket before I could even reach the trough in their desperation to get their noses in (this morning much calmer for breakfast).

My ewes gave them a belly sniff and a bum sniff and were taken aback by their barginess at the grub but other than that, none too bothered by their arrival.

When next to mine I noticed that the wool of the new arrivals is nothing like the texture of that of the wool of my other sheep, mine never shorn - would that be why? Same breed. Also, although pregnant, the new girls are thinner than mine (which I thought I was careful not to overfeed).

:sheep:

PS: I should add, their wool isn't as long either, and more 'tight'.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2011, 11:33:20 am by OhLaLa »

woollyval

• Joined Feb 2008
  • Near Bodmin, Cornwall
    • Val Grainger
    • Facebook
Re: Prospective Mums Arrived
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2011, 05:44:46 pm »
Yours have not been sheared I assume because they are shearlings?......I would be worried if they are over a year old and not been sheared :o
If that is the case....the fleece of a shearling is the first and best fleece as the sheep has not had any stress such as from being in lamb so it puts all its efforts into wool!

Re the condition....

Condition score them...v easy.....can you feel bony bits sticking up if you give them a good feel around the loin area? If not or you can just feel well fleshed bony bits they are ok to plump but if you can feel sticky outy sharp bony bits they are thin!
Also give em a good poke and feel where their ribs are.....

Word of caution....I do hope you wormed them with a suitable wormer BRFORE mixing them in with your other sheep! New sheep, esp from a dodgy background often bring little visitors with them in the way of worms etc! ::)
www.valgrainger.co.uk

Overall winner of the Devon Environmental Business Awards 2009

OhLaLa

• Joined Sep 2010
Re: Prospective Mums Arrived
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2011, 10:21:29 am »
Thanks for reply. Owner appeared to have pretty good records and they were wormed a fortnight ago (all other meds etc up to date), and yes mine shearlings (born 2010, knew someone would ask that as soon as I spotted I didn't mention it).

Another question which will seem pretty dumb to all you experienced shepherds - one of the new ones keeps having a couple of lengths of wool draping from her each day, anything I should be concerned about? I haven't seen her rubbing etc.

:sheep:

Tilly

• Joined Jan 2011
  • "Possibilities and miracles mean the same thing"
Re: Prospective Mums Have Arrived.........
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2011, 01:12:47 pm »
Hi OhLala
It would be nice to see some photo`s of your sheep.
---- there is nothing dumb, infact vice versa --- in questioning why one of your new sheep seems to be pulling wool out --- being observant is a large part of stockmanship and I would commend you on that.
You mentioned in your earlier post that the wool is differant to your original sheep--- wool can tell you a lot about the sheep health.
The fleece of an animal that has been" poorly done" or deficient of some thing in the past will be noticeably inferior.
-- be alert that the sheep may be carrying sheep scab which can easily be pasted onto your other sheep-- I recommend Dectomax which is an injection to keep itchy sheep healthy.
Tilly :wave:

OhLaLa

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2011, 02:29:59 pm »
Thanks Tilly, I'll look into that. Have never taken any pics of the sheep, will get some sorted on the next sunny day (right now it's :gloomy:)

I'm assuming the nice wool on my original girls is because they are shearlings - their wool is a bit longer and much nicer to my eye - slightly turned, I can only describe it as being like well tressed dreadlocks, not knotty but conditioned. The new arrivals wool is like a woolly jumper that has been in the wash with a grey sock.

Tried to do a condition score this morning. Tricky under all that wool but to me they just feel like firm sheep. I suspect now my girls a bit podgey as they have had access to ok grass (for the time of year) and the new girls have overwintered inside with others. That could be why they dive on the food bucket too - they are used to first come first served.

----------

Have looked at some sheep scab photos, my wool loss nothing so severe, merely a couple of 'pulls' but will certainly keep an eye on them. There was no sign of anything similar in the other sheep I saw when I picked them up either. I found this info about it in my search too, so thanks again:

http://www.sac.ac.uk/mainrep/pdfs/infonote82sheepscab.pdf

I'll have to look up to see if a preventative jab can be given to in-lamb ewes (did you do the injection yourself?).
« Last Edit: January 25, 2011, 02:46:37 pm by OhLaLa »

Tilly

• Joined Jan 2011
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2011, 03:43:16 pm »
OhLaLa---- It`s been a grey old day in Norfolk too with drizzle today
  ----- yes done the injections myself, the product also works as a wormer-- bought from local agricultural merchant.
Tilly

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2011, 09:52:45 pm »
If your new arrivals have been inside they could just have lice, spread very fast if lots of sheep close together. Just had to treat my goats with Spot-on (quite dear though), I think there are others that would do the job too, like Crovect.

They could have also just slept close to the fence, bashed themselves a bit on the side of the trailer/thorny bushes etc. Could be something simple like that.

andywalt

• Joined Aug 2010
  • kent
  • observe react administer enjoy !!
    • photos
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2011, 08:26:15 am »
Yes , Ive noticed a few pulls on a couple of my sheep, but to date has come to nothing at all, fingers x
Suffolk x romneys and Texel X with Romney Tup, Shetlands and Southdown Tup

OhLaLa

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2011, 01:40:38 pm »
Thanks guys. They are up to date with their treatments so hopefully all ok.

Dreamt last night I was washing sheep bums.....

:sheep:  :-\

andywalt

• Joined Aug 2010
  • kent
    • photos
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2011, 06:18:08 pm »
So come on get your camera out for us and take some photos? so we can see what they are like....

OhLaLa

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2011, 11:30:06 am »
Photo of 2 in lamb ewes and 2 shearlings, taken this morning.

:sheep:  :sheep:  :sheep:  :sheep:

kanisha

• Joined Dec 2007
    • Spered Breizh Ouessants
    • Facebook
Re: Prospective Mums Have Arrived (now with photo)
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2011, 12:27:48 pm »
very nice:-)
Ravelry Group: - Ouessants & Company

Tilly

• Joined Jan 2011
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2011, 06:28:30 pm »

Hi OhLaLa
-- your Suffolk's look smashing ---thanks for the photo.
 Tilly :wave:

andywalt

• Joined Aug 2010
  • kent
    • photos
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2011, 10:30:41 pm »
They look great, nice condition...... thanks for letting us see

OhLaLa

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2011, 01:01:20 pm »
Thanks. As a new shepherd it's good to get a bit of feedback. Even in that photo I can tell which two are the new in lamb girls.

Andywalt - you doing your own shearing this year?
« Last Edit: February 01, 2011, 10:06:36 pm by OhLaLa »

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS