Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: cuttings  (Read 4358 times)

sausagesandcash

• Joined Jan 2009
  • UK
    • IrishHandcraft
cuttings
« on: January 23, 2011, 10:09:58 am »
I would like to grow bushes etc. from cuttings, using a rooting gel. Can anyone advise when it is best to take these cuttings, as we would love to fill gaps in hedging with the species of hedge already present. Can you take cuttings from native trees aswell?

Regards,

Morgan

Hermit

• Joined Feb 2010
Re: cuttings
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2011, 10:50:32 am »
I would buy a book or get one from the library. Some cuttings are taken in autumn, some in summer, some hardwood , some softwood. Some shrubs you can just split or take root from.  I grow native trees from seed folk send me up from England and they are so easy and quick to grow. Willow you just cut branches off and stick in the ground! There are lots of answers so easier to get a book really.

sausagesandcash

• Joined Jan 2009
  • UK
    • IrishHandcraft
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2011, 04:17:41 pm »
Lovely, will root around for one.

Regards,

Morgan

geebee

• Joined Aug 2010
  • N,E.Fife
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2011, 05:00:39 pm »
My garden is nearly all grown from cuttings. I've never had any success with rooting powder/gel
& pots. Any time from spring thru to autumn I snap off a few twigs at a joint, I take some hardwood & some softwood of each type. Best done after a good downpour. Just push them in the soil & usually 1 or two out of three will root. Then can be transplanted to where you want it when established. Forsythia, Buddlia, Wiegela, Honeysuckle, Escallonia have all done brilliantly. I also pot up seedlings that have self seeded when weeding my gravel path and have Cotoneaster, Hawthorn, Beech, Roses, Ash, Horse Chestnut, Holly from this. Much more satisfying than doing it the 'proper' way! Good Luck!

sausagesandcash

• Joined Jan 2009
  • UK
    • IrishHandcraft
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2011, 09:08:03 pm »
Super, thanks for the advice. Do you put them in potting compost, or just ordinary soil?

Hermit

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2011, 07:17:47 am »
I agree with geebee, I have done the same . Most garden common garden shrub cuttings are so easy to grow. I dont use hormones either just put them in a sheltered bit of garden where they wont be disturbed for a year or in a pot of good soil. Dont forget though they will look dead for a while as most are deciduous and most cuttings are taken in Autumn, wait till spring and you will be amazed at how many bud.

smallholder in the city

• Joined Jul 2010
  • Lincolnshire
    • HootersHall
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2011, 07:12:41 pm »
I dip mine in some liquid seaweed feed before planting in some compost which seems to work well

Blonde

• Joined Mar 2011
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2011, 01:36:23 pm »
Super, thanks for the advice. Do you put them in potting compost, or just ordinary soil?
cuttings do well with a little river sand in the pot or someting that is alittle course such as PERLITE.

You can also do Heel Cuttings take by pulling the tiny branches off the main stem and getting some of the mature tissue on the end of the cutting, just dip in homone powder and with the dibbler make a small hole and plant then..... push sand back on to cutting.

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2011, 03:24:46 pm »
Lovely, will root around for one.

Regards,

Morgan

?pun intended??   ;:D   
Little Blue

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS