Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: crowing hen  (Read 3640 times)

Buffy the eggs layer

• Joined Jun 2010
crowing hen
« on: January 21, 2011, 06:02:08 pm »
Hi All,

last Sept I sold four 10 week old hens to a man that wanted some garden birds (they were sold as unsexed but I did inform him that one was clearly a cock and the other 3 appeared to be hens at that stage) He recently contacted me to let me know that one of the hens had started trying to crow, mounting the other hens, growling at him and drawing blood from the cockerel if he was treading the hens. I suggested that the crowing could be the result of a damaged or diseased ovary and offerd to replace the bird. He declined as the birds are all now part of the family but sent me a photo of the birds now they are POL.

Appart from advising him to cut down on the treats as the birds had alot of condition on and suggesting that he spoke to the vet I was at a bit of a loss.

Does any one else have any experience of this? The offending hen is in the foreground of the photo. double click on it to enlarge

Buffy
« Last Edit: January 21, 2011, 06:04:34 pm by Buffy the eggs layer »

faith0504

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Cairngorms
  • take it easy and chill
    • blaemuir cottage
Re: crowing hen
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2011, 06:08:31 pm »
they are lovely looking birds

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2011, 09:06:21 pm »
Apart from a lovely tail, and treading, the cockerel doesn't look fully mature yet.  I would suspect that when he does the wayward hen will be put in her place.   On the other hand, she may turn out to be a cockerel - I've had one that changed sex.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Sandy

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2011, 09:27:58 pm »
Stunning birds!! I love the sound of a cock in the morning!!! When we have done our extension I will re stock our birds!!

ambriel

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Kinlochbervie, NW Sutherland, Scotland
  • Mad, bad, and dangerous to know!
    • Harbour Cottage
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2011, 10:12:12 pm »

Yes, I'd be proud to have these birds in our flock.

I have read how in rare cases hens can change sex, at least superficially.

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2011, 10:22:08 pm »
It might be part of establishing their pecking order in spring. My female ducks are mounting each other at the moment - I assume just to tell each other who's boss! If there is not a physical cause I reckon it will pass in a few weeks time and the boy will put her in her place  :chook: :&>

Buffy the eggs layer

• Joined Jun 2010
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2011, 08:50:31 am »
Thanks for yor replies,

and your complements. Lets hope it settles down.

Buffy

Hardfeather

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2011, 12:22:40 pm »
I think all three of the light Sussex-marked birds in the pic are males. The middle one has the fuller tail of the three, and seems the more advanced/dominant, but the others are not far behind. The outside two have signs of developing sickle feathers. None of them look like females. Closer inspection of the legs should reveal bumps which will be the start of spur growth.

Even in breeds where the males are fairly tolerant of other males in the flock there will always be the potential for trouble when one bird is treading, particularly with young birds and where none are completely dominant yet. It's probably the one time when the treading bird is at a disadvantage as far as self-defence goes, so other cockerels will take advantage of that.

The heads are another give-away, being heavier than one would expect in a LS hen. Also, the combs on all three birds are not correct for pure LS; that, and the stance, particularly of the middle bird, would suggest to me that they perhaps have some Wyandotte in their breeding.

HappyHippy

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2011, 12:29:55 pm »
Hiya,
I bought 5 light sussex at market last year, 4 hens and a cock (allegedly)  ::)
All 5 turned out to be cockerels, and they all looked a bit like these ones (combs which eventually enlarged and tail feathers which gradually got longer - although when they started crowing it was a dead giveaway  ;)) On the plus side - they did get along fairly well for a few months until we got the extra ones re-homed.
Sorry, I know that's not really of any help or answers your question, but just thought I'd share.
Karen x

Buffy the eggs layer

• Joined Jun 2010
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2011, 02:49:24 pm »
Thanks for the feed back,

when I got the photo I did think that the one at the back might have been the offending bird due to the stance and what looked in the photo as the start of some saddle feathers. It also looked to be standing a little on its toes. I was informed that it was the hen in the foreground that was displaying all the behaviour.

I bought them as silver laced wyandotte eggs and silver hamburgh eggs from a breeder but when they hatched the wyandottes were clearly more columbian in their feather. They dont look like my wyandotte hen and the size and redness of the combs and wattles did make me wonder if they were late developing males.

I will offer to take two of them back if they are three males so if anyones interested...I may be looking for new homes for them.

Buffy

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS