Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Quail advice needed please!  (Read 2353 times)

Dizzycow

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Fife
Quail advice needed please!
« on: January 21, 2011, 02:45:50 pm »
I have five jumbo white quails which are around seven weeks old. I think, though it 's hard to tell, that there are two males. One of the females has been pecked so viciously during mating that she is not only bald but also has had to be isolated because there was so much blood coming out of her head. Another quail has also been plucked bald, but he's a bloke - also now in isolation. I put Stockholm tar on the poor girl then put the bloke in with her and to my surprise he immediately went for her, totally undeterred by the tar. I have eggs in the incubator and had hoped to breed from two unrelated adults, but now I'm not sure what to do about these vicious males. Does anyone know what the solution is?

scattybiker1972

• Joined Dec 2009
  • wirral
Re: Quail advice needed please!
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2011, 06:13:19 pm »
they will kill each other..nastily too.your best bet is to seperate them into one cock and groups of hens but plenty of hens so he doesnt pick on a small amount of hens too much.

pikilily

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Do what you enjoy; And enjoy what you do!!
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2011, 01:01:20 pm »
if you PM bamford he may be able to expand on ideas for help! He gave me my birds and seems to know loads!
emma T
If you don't have a dream; how you gonna have a dream come true?

bamford6

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2011, 03:05:17 pm »
you need to breed the stock ourself then you can make groups off 4 to 1 i dont have eney bother .iff i get a problem id get rid off the males and keep the hens .iff you would like some this puts lots off people off quails . i have 38 and 4 Mexicans laying well im selling 50 eggs for £15 pound at the minute thats 10 pounds every 3 or 4 days they can all go for £25 pounds for the lot  nice set up pieds whites Cinnamon's and no fuss all bought up  together iff eney 1 wont's a small set up for the kids in 1 moths time they will make £4 pound each  at the sales need the room as incubating as started and all stock will be gone

Dizzycow

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Fife
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2011, 08:42:55 am »
Thanks, guys. They seem slightly less aggressive at the moment. I will get rid of one of the males - anyone want him?! ::)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS