Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Is it a hen or a cockeral?  (Read 5571 times)

kaz

• Joined Jul 2008
  • Ceredigion
  • Dust yourself off when life throws you down.
Is it a hen or a cockeral?
« on: November 19, 2008, 06:30:54 pm »
 I have a chicken that lays eggs :D :D Well I hear you say so do mine, but today I definately saw that same chicken as it is the only completely black one, doing the dirty with a black rock in the wood store. Is that possible  or am I definately going senile, I have my doubts.

Can someone put my mind at rest. ??? ??? ???
Penybont Ryelands. Ystwyth Coloured Ryelands.  2 alpacas, 2 angora goats, 2 anglo nubian kids, 3golden retrievers a collie and a red fox labrador retriever, geese, ducks & chickens.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Re: Is it a hen or a cockeral?
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2008, 08:55:58 pm »
Are you sure it wasn't just a dominance thing?

kaz

• Joined Jul 2008
  • Ceredigion
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2008, 09:20:27 pm »
Well I did get a reminder that I was due for an eye test.
Penybont Ryelands. Ystwyth Coloured Ryelands.  2 alpacas, 2 angora goats, 2 anglo nubian kids, 3golden retrievers a collie and a red fox labrador retriever, geese, ducks & chickens.

garden cottage

• Joined Sep 2008
  • forest of dean
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2008, 05:59:38 am »
bisexual chickens?  whatever next, have made a phone call some gentlemen in white coats on their way ;D ;D ;D

kaz

• Joined Jul 2008
  • Ceredigion
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2008, 07:02:42 am »
I also saw pink elephants running up the wall!!!!!!

Birdie Wife

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2008, 11:15:18 am »
One of my hens started crowing a few years ago.  She had been the bottom of the pack previously and over a period of a few weeks she stopped laying, started pushing the other hens around and making very definite crowing noises!! She switched back to being a hen after a while though   ;)

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2008, 12:30:10 pm »
I had one that did that but didn't change back to being a hen.  She stayed male for about 2 years then died.  I have heard ducks can change sex so perhaps chickens can too?
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

kaz

• Joined Jul 2008
  • Ceredigion
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2008, 04:22:36 pm »
Its funny, I had my doubts about this chicken when young as thought it was a cockeral as showed all the signs of being one,  but then it started to lay eggs so didn't have the fate of the rest of the boys.

Perhaps it's only in drag waiting for the time to come out.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2008, 06:25:46 pm »
Do you know, I have NEVER actually seen any of mine lay an egg - did you actually see this one laying?  Or was it just the correct number of eggs there.  After reading that they can lay twice in one day I would be suspicious.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2008, 07:14:29 pm »
I'm sure I've read somewhere that hens can turn into cockerels or at least cockerel-like. It's some sort of hormone imbalance. I'll see if I can find the article.

kaz

• Joined Jul 2008
  • Ceredigion
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2008, 07:42:03 pm »
Definately laid an egg as when pop hole opened it went hi tailing it into the barn to sit on the bales of straw where some of them lay. I waited  a few mintues, it had all the actions and then there was this damp egg. ???

And in reply to Rosemary - look forward to any info you find.

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2008, 08:16:03 am »
My cockerel waits for his favourite ladies to lay, then hops up and down making egg laying noises.  (He also produces mostly girls now is this connected?)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS