Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Silkies  (Read 2703 times)

gmacp

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Whipsnade
Silkies
« on: January 21, 2011, 09:20:55 am »
Morning.....

Thinking of getting 4 or so Silkies - I already have 11 Brahmas and Orpingtons  - you guys think they will get on ok? Also, I read somewhere that introducing them to the others at night is a good idea - makes integrating them easier - you think there is any truth to that?

Any help much appreciated as always.

Glyn

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Re: Silkies
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2011, 09:56:41 am »
I don't have any experience of Silkies but will share this with you. A friend of mine, and I, went to a poultry sale. We bought some Black Rocks and he bought a couple of Silkies. At our house, we sorted out who was getting which hens and his BR and the Silkies went in one cage. The BR were twice the size of the Silkies but it was quite clear that the  Silkies were boss.

We've always tried to keep new birds separate from the existing flock for a couple of weeks, but preferably in sight. This is just in case the new ones are carrying anything untoward. Then we put the new birds in the run with the existing flock but in a seperate run / house and corn them together so they get used to each other. Then we move the new birds in at night.

To be honest, we've also introduced new birds (after quarantine) straight in with the existing, but always at night, and I haven't seen much different in behaviour. There's always a bit of scuffling as they sort out the pecking order but just keep an eye out for persisitant bullying. If all the hens are healthy and have room to run away, you shoudln't have  a problem. If you have a cockerel, he'll sort out any nonsense.

gmacp

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Whipsnade
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2011, 10:13:52 am »
Thanks Rosemary for the advice. Will let you know how it goes.

bamford6

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2011, 10:36:05 am »
the silkies are very nice but dont like damp rain etc we have in the highlands red blue black white but whot i would recomend copper tops cross gold or white silki light sussex make more money att the sales and broodies the best .you could get a 12 egg hatch wich should give you 4 or 5 hens

kelloggs

• Joined Jul 2010
  • Norfolk
    • http://www.oakwoodbrahmas.com/
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2011, 12:48:12 pm »

I keep brahmas and faverolles but do have three silkie bantams left who live with them  and they are
  definitely the ones in charge ::) They give my brahma boys a good peck if they get in their way.  :o
 At the moment they've decided to go broody again so I have a little bit of peace, thats one thing about
 silkies they are always going broody ;)

Good luck on whatever you decide ;)
We keep brahmas in gold, dark, lemon pyle, blue partridge, blue buff columbian, buff columbian , blue, splashes,blacks and my whites...........
Also salmon faverolles and can now offer high quality poultry saddles for your girls

www.oakwoodbrahmas.com/

gmacp

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Whipsnade
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2011, 02:01:41 pm »
But the Brahmas are so large?? So the silkies will be in charge -  can't wait to see that!

kelloggs

• Joined Jul 2010
  • Norfolk
    • http://www.oakwoodbrahmas.com/
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2011, 02:36:16 pm »

My boys are very large but big softies :), the silkies always keep them in their place ;D ;D or I've just got the  most
 outgoing little silkies :-\ today I had a little gold silkie chasing one of the six month old dark boys round the garden :D
We keep brahmas in gold, dark, lemon pyle, blue partridge, blue buff columbian, buff columbian , blue, splashes,blacks and my whites...........
Also salmon faverolles and can now offer high quality poultry saddles for your girls

www.oakwoodbrahmas.com/

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS