Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: how do you give ducks a drink at night and keep the bedding dry?  (Read 6616 times)

gavo

• Joined Aug 2008
  • Belcoo, Enniskillen, N.Ireland
  • Crazy Pig Lover
Can any one give me some ideas?
« Last Edit: January 22, 2011, 12:01:32 am by gavo »

Hermit

• Joined Feb 2010
Re: how do you give ducks a drink at night and keep the bedding dry?
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2011, 07:58:01 am »
I have an old lick bucket with a snap lid on. In the side of the bucket I have cut holes so the ducks can get the heads in but only enough to drink not to splash about. Keeps them drier and quenched. In the day they free range on a burn which they stay on most of the day so they get their baths then.
A normal bucket just breaks when you cut it, lick buckets seem to be more pliable so cut easy.The lid must be on as they can drown in a bucket!!!!!!

Castle Farm

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Hereford/Powys Border. near Hay-on-Wye
    • castlefarmeggs
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2011, 09:46:57 am »
I keep a flock of Silver Appleyards and they don't get water in the coop at night and they are fine like that.
Traditional Utility Breed Hatching Eggs sent next day delivery. Pure bred Llyen Sheep.
www.castlefarmeggs.co.uk  http://www.facebook.com/pages/Utility-Poultry-Keepers/231571570247281

Frieslandfilly

• Joined Apr 2009
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2011, 10:17:13 am »
Mine dont have water at night either

gavo

• Joined Aug 2008
  • Crazy Pig Lover
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2011, 10:39:57 am »
Mine never did until NOV when we had our first fox [not bad in 8 years] but since then they are having a very early bed time at around 5-6 oclock as opposed to 10-11 oclock they used to go back and forth from the big shed and its large light (so they could see their food} to their pond.I feel bad that they otherwise would go so long without a drink i have purpose made poultry drinkers but they seem to soak the place i don't know if they tip it over or what?

Hermit

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2011, 11:47:47 am »
Early bed 5.00 Dont tell mine ! It is getting dark at 2.30 in mid winter up here so thats why mine get water and food to last all night until about 9.oo in the morning when it starts getting light! At the moment they get locked up at 4.00 and let out at 8.30. Its the otters we have to watch, they love ducks to eat and are on the prowl at half light. We have a huge dog otter that has a run up the burn from the sea to his holt in an old croft further up the valley. Trouble is when its light all night they dont want to go to bed at all. :&>

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2011, 01:11:47 pm »
I have a good system.  I use a wooden dog kennel for my ducks with a huge great dane sized dog cage attached.  It has two doors - one goes over the opening to the kennel and the other is at the run side which is open during the day and closed at night.  That way they have air circulation, which ducks need, at night plus access to their water bowls out in the cage, and it is fox proof so I can leave them in if I need to go away for the day.  It is also easy to clean as it has a metal tray base.  Their run is about 40 sq metres and has additional water bowls and a small hard sided paddling pool.  The shed is filled with straw and skimmed then topped up every couple of days although having seen a friend's dog kennel I'm thinking about wood shavings now the youngsters are old enough not to nibble it.
Ducks are notorious for wetting the bed by the way  ;) ;) ;)
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

gavo

• Joined Aug 2008
  • Crazy Pig Lover
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2011, 06:07:21 pm »
Yes that is a good system, but i have at least 40 ducks in a very large garden type shed. I do regularly empty/change their bedding but it's getting to the point that it nearly needs emptying daily[which i can't afford].They totally free range during the day without any problemas do the hens.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2011, 10:37:41 pm »
Could you section the shed off so that the water bowls are near the front and the bedding is kept in the larger area at the back - a 6 inch board should do it and they would get over that.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

gavo

• Joined Aug 2008
  • Crazy Pig Lover
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2011, 10:46:22 pm »
Not a bad idea at all i'll maybe have a go at that. Thanks

princesspiggy

« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2011, 12:40:52 pm »
The lid must be on as they can drown in a bucket!!!!!!

i had a young gander who fell head first into a bucket whilst i was trying to catch him, and he cudnt get out without help, so it was lucky i was there. then a man bought a goose from me to replace its partner than had drowned in a bucket

OhLaLa

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2011, 12:44:33 pm »
Mine are in at night, no water inside. Out in the morning with access to fresh water all day long.

:&>

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS