Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Tortoises!!  (Read 3814 times)

Frieslandfilly

• Joined Apr 2009
Tortoises!!
« on: January 20, 2011, 11:28:27 am »
Anyone got tortoises, I have had mine for quite a few years but the biggest one woke up yesterday, far too early!! I am not sure of the best course of action, any advice appreciated.

belgianblue

• Joined Jun 2010
Re: Tortoises!!
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2011, 04:30:33 pm »
we kept ours awake all winter and did them no harm, kept them under their special uv light during the day and turn it off at night. fed them their usual diet.

OhLaLa

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2011, 06:57:51 pm »
we kept ours awake all winter and did them no harm, kept them under their special uv light during the day and turn it off at night. fed them their usual diet.

Why keep them awake?

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2011, 07:08:42 pm »
I wondered that too, they are a hibernating animal.  I would make sure the tortoise had food near it in case it wants to eat, and is kept warm and dry with no draughts.  I have heard ion them waking having a quick snack and going back to sleep.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

belgianblue

• Joined Jun 2010
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2011, 07:26:49 pm »
to hibernate an tortoise you need to empty its system out.
once awoken and pees and eats again you cannot send it to sleep again.
if you make it eat and send it to sleep again the food in its digestion system starts to rot, and also buggers the kidneys up.

i found looking on the purplepets.co.uk they have information on looking after your tortoise.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2011, 11:10:36 pm »
I would be surprised if you can make a tortoise do anything it didn't want to do  ;)
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Frieslandfilly

• Joined Apr 2009
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2011, 09:58:28 am »
Yes I knew it was dangerous to let them eat or drink, thats why I am unsure what to do, they hibernate in the greenhouse and usually dont wake up till March, now I am thinking I will have to use a lamp for them but they have never had one before and I am reluctant to change thier habits  ???

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2011, 11:55:13 am »

adamhfc

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2011, 01:42:01 pm »
hey join or look at rfuk theres loads of good advice and breeders on there

Frieslandfilly

• Joined Apr 2009
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2011, 02:39:02 pm »
Thanks for the rfuk, have not seen that one before, I do use the shelled warrior website which is also helpful.

Many tortoises bought in recent years would be raised under a lamp from the time they were born, Mine however are over 40 years old and have never had such luxuries!! They follow a very typical natural life pattern, go to sleep when it gets too cold and wake up when it gets warmer, not sure why he has awoken so early perhaps (and I say this in whispered tones) we may be in for an early spring!! Here's hoping anyway :D

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS