Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Mr British Toggenburgs services needed in Suffolk  (Read 3061 times)

LouiseG

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Appleby-in-Westmorland
Mr British Toggenburgs services needed in Suffolk
« on: January 13, 2011, 10:33:16 pm »
HI
I have an 8 month old british toggenburg girl whom i would like to put in kid, but need to find her a boyfriend we live in Suffolk (8 miles south of Bury St Edmunds) and wondered if there is anyone local to us with a suitable Billie we could use.

Thank you for reading this.  :goat: :love:
So many ideas, not enough hours

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
Re: Mr British Toggenburgs services needed in Suffolk
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2011, 06:32:03 am »
I personally would not put a kid in kid, I have two BT female kids born last March, and they are still not fully grown compared to their mum.

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2011, 10:27:23 pm »
Louise doesn't actually mention when she wants to put her goat in kid- she might just be being really organised and looking for a male for later this year!

However, I do agree with Anke, the general practice is to wait until female goats are 18months old before putting them in kid. If you had an early born kid, that was now nearly 12 months old (or even just over 12 months old), and she was really big for her age then I would consider it.

I'm afriad after all that, I'm not much help to your original query as I am in Scotland and don't now of any BT breeders in Suffolk. One other thing to bear in mind, is that some breeders will ask you to have your goat CAE tested, to ensure it will not pass on the disease to their billy. CAE is extremely rare now, but for people who breed to export, and show, all their goats have to be CAE tested.

I'm sure someone will be able to help...

Beth

LouiseG

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Appleby-in-Westmorland
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2011, 07:23:58 pm »
Thank you both, I am not in any hurry to mate her but would like to when she is ready, I have been looking for a while for suitable Billy's but am not having any luck hence trying this forum.
I work for a vets so having her CAE tested isn't a problem.  She has grown really well and is nearly as big as her half sister who is two years older, but i take on board your coments and will wait till autumn.
Thank you for your help. :)

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2011, 10:14:26 pm »
Hi Louise, the British Toggenburg Society does usually publish a male register (not a stud register as such) every year, but I haven't got one this year yet. It is usually prepared by Debbie Vernon, her email is shanverngoats at googlemail.com.

I have tried to find my one from last year, but no luck and it is quite late now.... I am also in Scotland, and have BT's but only have them mated up here.

If you want to have an early kidding in 2012 you could always have your goatling sponged in September, then mated early on in autumn.

divanp75

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Caithness
    • Scotshaven
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2011, 05:21:10 pm »
There is always the AI root.

Christine Ball @ Goat Genetics,  www.goatgenetics.com

She might be able to tell you if there is someone in your areas has straws and can AI your goat.

Diane  :wave:

LouiseG

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Appleby-in-Westmorland
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2011, 10:10:31 pm »
In response to the AI route in my mind (not sure if i'm imagining it/making it up/old wives tale?) don't they have to do it naturally first time round?  ???

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2011, 06:47:34 am »
I have had this discussion with some people on the GG forum, and opinions are divided. Goats are at their most fertile as goatlings, so should be higher chance of success, but you are starting from a lower success threshold.... I think it depends on how good the inseminator is, and you getting your timing absolutely right. I decided to go down the natural route with mine, although it does involve some travelling (and in the case of my goatling a return journey three weeks later, as she didn't hold first time round). I also do not have anyone near me that could do AI for goats, however it is something that i will investigate further in the coming years, as some really good GG semen is now available.

I have had my goats sponged now for two years in a row, and it works very well. You can discuss your timings with the billy owner in advance, plan to take time off for travelling or arrange boarding.

It also depends on what your aims are with breeding your goats. If you just want milk for the household, then the actual breed/pedigree of the billy is not so critical, but I try and breed for milk, so go for pedigree/high milk figures billies (for my BT's, and to a lesser extent for my GG's)

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2011, 11:35:50 pm »
Fiona McIntyre over in Dumfries does AI, Anke. I always prefer to use a male to serve a goatling. A goatling may be more nervous and less likely to stand, and an experienced male will be able to get round this  ;) Generally anyway. An older goat who has kidded before, should be more used to the process. That said, I tried AI this year and couldn't get it to work...

Beth

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS