Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Help please!!!  (Read 2340 times)

Wood

• Joined Jan 2011
Help please!!!
« on: January 18, 2011, 04:18:47 pm »
I live in the Sheffield area (jnc 31 of M1) and we are wanting to keep a couple of pigs on our land. Before we take the plunge does anyone know where we can get some pigs locally (no idea of breed etc any advice welcome).

I know about getting permission to transport them but can I transport them in the back of my van with the windows open?? and a comfy bed of straw etc Also where can we take them locally to be slaughtered and butchered etc

No matter how much you read up on these things you can never seem to find the answer to your exact question!! hence the forum post!

Any other advice welcome

Thanks

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
Re: Help please!!!
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2011, 05:20:31 pm »
One way would be to look on line on British Pig Association who can advise you of local breeders.  Otherwise try an ad in local feedstores/farm shops. 

JulieS

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Devon - EX39 5RF
    • Ford Mill Farm
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2011, 05:24:34 pm »
If you would like GOS have a look on the breeders club website www.oldspots.org, there is a list of members on there.

I expect other breeds have similar websites.

Find a breeder near you and contact them, I'm sure if they are like me they will be only too happy to help.

Good luck and enjoy your pigs  :love: :pig: :love:
Pedigree GOS Pigs and Butchery for Smallholders.

oaklandspigs

• Joined Nov 2009
  • East Sussex
    • OaklandsPigs
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2011, 06:44:21 pm »
I know about getting permission to transport them but can I transport them in the back of my van with the windows open?? and a comfy bed of straw etc Also where can we take them locally to be slaughtered and butchered etc

No matter how much you read up on these things you can never seem to find the answer to your exact question!! hence the forum post!

Any other advice welcome

Thanks

Our book will answer that question and 100's of others !!

In brief, yes you can transport your piglets in a container within the back of a car (van stuff below).  It must have adequate ventilation (but 40mph with windows wide open will chill piglets at this time of year – so air, but not too much!).  It must have straw or hay or similar to soak up wee.  The  container must be capable of being cleansed (or burned) afterwards, which must be done with an approved disinfectant.  Dog crates make ideal transport, cardboard boxes unless very strong generally do not.
The pig will poo and pee on the way home, so we recommend a tarpaulin under the crate (and around, they poo through the bars often) to save smelly carpet!
If you have a true “van” with metal floor that gives a “contained area” which is capable of being cleansed with water and then sprayed with disinfectant, then yes you can use this. Again straw needed.  However you should also consider that in large back compartment, the piglets  will carry on travelling at 40mph when you do the emergency stop when some idiot pulls out in front of you.  We recommend that you reduce the area down using straw bales  (same is true for trailers), with one at the front as an “airbag”!
www.Oaklandspigs.co.uk
"Perfect Pigs" the complete guide to keeping pigs; One Day Pig Courses in South East;
Weaners for sale - Visit our site for details

Greenerlife

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Leafy Surrey
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2011, 08:35:03 pm »
Don't panic! :pig:

I remember having just the same thoughts when I got my first two!  i think you will find that picking up pigs is less hassle transport wise than going to the abbatoir.  We picked our pigs up in our Defender, just with a dogpen and a waterproof liner.  the last lot we got, the farmer said that he gets all sorts of vehicules, some people have them on their laps apparently!  (I would not advise that). going to the abbatoir, you will need proper transport as detailed in oaklands post above, and our local abbatoirs are very picky and I know people can get done by the authorities for not having cleaned vehicules before and after, or not enough room/ventilation etc - quite right too!  It seems to me that there is a business in hiring trailers for abbatoir trips - so much so, that my local trailer hire people are buying one to add to their fleet, so I will be sorted for next time!  Enjoy your piggies!

Mr Pig

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2011, 09:24:32 am »
Suggest you contact John Wreakes at Stainforth who is very knowledgeable and reasonably close. http://www.saddlebacks.org.uk/members.asp

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2011, 10:08:20 am »
I only once took a couple of weaners in the back of the estate in a dog crate. They were travel sick, and it nearly made me sick too.... since then - trailer with lots of straw and divider across so they have only a small area. They will settle very quickly, and its less smelly for the driver....

for abattoir you will need to set yourself up with a trailer, and as far as I know it will need a ramp with sides, so horse trailer is not really suitable.

Wood

• Joined Jan 2011
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2011, 02:56:53 pm »
Thanks for all the good advice, I think we are getting closer to finding a local supplier. If anyone has any other info on supplier local to us that would be great.

Thanks everyone

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS