Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Marking piglets  (Read 16021 times)

Helencus

• Joined Feb 2010
  • NW Leicestershire
Marking piglets
« on: January 17, 2011, 07:57:56 pm »
In the near future I'm going to have to 'identify' the piglets. What's peoples recommended ID method given I've never tagged, slap marked. Tattooed or notched. I'd be really interested in your thoughts and experiences.

robert waddell

Re: Marking piglets
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2011, 08:08:27 pm »
if they are pedigree pigs they have to be marked in accordance with the individual breed requirements slap marking is only to identify your pig through the slaughter process

Helencus

• Joined Feb 2010
  • NW Leicestershire
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2011, 08:27:43 pm »
They're saddlebacks the bpa said notching or tattoo but mine are double ear tagged they weren't keen on that though for some reason.

robert waddell

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2011, 08:39:05 pm »
if they were pedigree they should have been notched when you bought them you cant notch them  only pigs that you have produced  you can notch you can tag as well easier for others to identify individual pigs

Helencus

• Joined Feb 2010
  • NW Leicestershire
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2011, 08:58:31 pm »
Well they're all double tagged and that's ok but you have to write to bpa to tell them you're doing that.

Tudful Tamworths

• Joined Aug 2009
    • Liz's website
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2011, 12:49:14 am »
Best to consult your BPA breed rep (see the BPA website). They'll advise you of the latest regulations.
www.lizshankland.com www.biggingerpigs.com
Author of the Haynes Pig Manual, Haynes Smallholding Manual, and the Haynes Sheep Manual. Three times winner of the Tamworth Champion of Champions. Teaching smallholding courses at Kate Humble's farm: www.humblebynature.com

Helencus

• Joined Feb 2010
  • NW Leicestershire
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2011, 09:52:58 am »
Thanks I'm waiting on my membership pack so I'll give them a call. I know I can double tag not sure about tattooing though. Definately don't fancy notching. Is tagging and tattooing easy enough to do do you get instructions?

gavo

• Joined Aug 2008
  • Belcoo, Enniskillen, N.Ireland
  • Crazy Pig Lover
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2011, 11:56:57 am »

Well you get info on what details go in which ear but not alot else ,your tatoo equipment gives a good guide of how to do it ;it's not really that hard.Just on the ears yours and theirs.

Helencus

• Joined Feb 2010
  • NW Leicestershire
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2011, 12:18:00 pm »
Lol mine too  ;D what do I get on mine the pigs names? Don't think my ears are big enough for bonking boris!  ;D ;D

gavo

• Joined Aug 2008
  • Belcoo, Enniskillen, N.Ireland
  • Crazy Pig Lover
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2011, 04:48:36 pm »
I can't remember what breed you have but if they are anything like our TAMS you will NEED ear defenders like those they use when digging up the road[SERIOUSLY].They create a volume well in excess of safe noise levels; prolonged it would deafen you.

oaklandspigs

• Joined Nov 2009
  • East Sussex
    • OaklandsPigs
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2011, 05:56:55 pm »
Helencus,

This subject causes more confusion than any other, given three competing requirements
  • Legal reqs for ID, which have paint mark, tagging, slapmark and tatoo as different options at different times
  • Pedigree pigs breed reqs that vary per breed, both in what can be done, and indeed for notching on how notched
  • Management reqs - you just knowing which pig is which

If you come back with why you need to tag, I'll try and get more specific, but let me try and cover the above without getting everyone (inc myself) more confused.

Below is a summary ONLY, does not include all elements - 

Legal reqs
England - at basic level no need to ID as long as pig remains on holding of birth, so if you breed and keep you don’t need to do anything. Under 1 year old can move between holdings on a paint mark, so if you buy and keep a piglet, it can come on a paint mark, and as long as remains on your property, no further ID needed.  Pig over 1 year old – selling – either eartag (plastic or metal, but must be pre-printed) with herd number or tattoo with herd number.  No individual ID needed. Don’t slapmark, as this is only used for slaughter.  Pig any age going to slaughter – slapmark, eartag (needs to be tag which survives scald process, so generally metal), can be tattoo, but most abattoirs hate this so will not take tattoo, and insist on slapmark or tag.  Some abattoirs insist on slapmark, so check before marking.
Scotland – generally pigs can move on a temporary paint mark.  A pig can legally move to slaughter on a paint mark, although some abattoirs will not accept this.

Pedigree Pigs
Different breeds have different reqs. Some notch, some tattoo, some allow tagging.  Even notching varies between breeds. 
For saddlebacks (others can add other breeds if they wish, they are listed in our book), the British Saddleback Club are desperately keen that you notch.  They see this as the only secure way to mark pigs (their view is that tags can be snipped out or altered!), and that it is traditional.  That is why you are getting this strong steer from them.  You can double tag, but will get problems if you want to show them at BPA shows. The notching scheme for saddlebacks is different than other breeds (although the BPA was pushing to get a single scheme), as the society view feel that two notches close to each other (as is required in some cases for other scheme) will affect the ability of the pig to “carry its ears forward” and create a pig with floppy ears, which is against standard.  I am just repeating the British Saddleback Club views and their logic here, not making the case for them.
If you start “your herd” by notching, you cannot change to tagging afterwards.  As for whether notching cause a problem, we notch where required, but I have to say I do not enjoy doing this. If done at a few days old, the piglets will react, and indeed squeal, but whilst this obviously does cause some pain which very quickly goes away, much of the squealing is caused by you restraining the piglet to do it.  Spray after with purple spray, and it is a quick and easy process.  If you choose tagging, you must inform the BPA, and tagging must be done on both ears with an individual ID before 8 weeks of age.  Most use button tags as flag tags at this age will be large in relation to the piglet.
You cannot tattoo your saddlebacks for pedigree (on its own), so tattoo has no pedigree significance for saddlebacks – it is the ID method on several other breeds.

Management tags
We use these a lot – they have no legal or pedigree use.  Ours are just a flag tag with a number on it.  We have some 20 saddleback sows (ear-notched for pedigree), and rather than try and remember the numbering scheme, we add these management tags – eg a tag saying "20".  That way Clare can say to be “I need no. 20 up to the boar today” and i know which one she means – she (being a woman) recognises all of them by sight !

So if you are registering your pigs, the recommendation is to ear-notch for saddlebacks. Whilst they remain with you,  you need do no more.  If you sell over a year old, you add a plastic or metal tag with a pre-printed herd Number. If you notch, then like us you can add a management tag. If you take to slaughter, they need a metal tag with herd number or to be slapmarked.  If you opt for double tags, they should have herd number and individual ID for saddlebacks.  This will also act as legal ID if you sell. If you take to slaughter, you will need to add a metal tag (almost all pedigree ID tags are Plastic) or slapmark

Simples.....

www.Oaklandspigs.co.uk
"Perfect Pigs" the complete guide to keeping pigs; One Day Pig Courses in South East;
Weaners for sale - Visit our site for details

Helencus

• Joined Feb 2010
  • NW Leicestershire
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2011, 01:10:45 pm »
Thanks oaklands. So mine are pedigree saddlebacks as you know, plans are to sell most of the weaners and keep a couple unregistered to fatten. So if I don't fancy notching at all as I have no clue and will very probably get it wrong and I find the prospect of notching on my own no experience frankly daunting. The piglets are 11 days old now so will hurt like hell no doubt. So I prefer tagging. That being the case I understand registered weaners im selling of breed standard will need 2 I'd tags herdmark and individual id tag, unregistered just 1 with herdmark only. Is that correct? The ones I'm fattening I need do nothing with so long as they stay with me I can then metal tag or slapmark if acceptable to abbatoir just prior to slaughter. Did I understand correctly?

oaklandspigs

• Joined Nov 2009
  • East Sussex
    • OaklandsPigs
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2011, 05:45:49 pm »
Close.

The ones I'm fattening I need do nothing with so long as they stay with me I can then metal tag or slapmark if acceptable to abattoir just prior to slaughter.yes
Any you are selling for meat (whether of standard or not) - simple paint mark (animal spray marker) as they are under 1 year.  The buyer would then metal tag or slapmark with their herd no. before slaughter. If you tag, you just add confusion,as the buyer would need to add a tag or slapmark with their number before slaughter, giving a pig with two herd ID's, and more chance that the abattoir will not marry the paperwork and pig up!
Any you sell of breed standard for breeding IF the buyer doesn't intend to register (and is clear that they don't) they just want a good breed standard sow – then no need to tag, just like meat pigs they can go on a temporary paint mark, and the buyer doesn't need to do any ID as long as it remains on their property.
Any of breed standard you are selling for possible breeding IF the buyer wants (or may want) to register them – yes two tags, each should have HDL no. and individual ID printed on one side, and defra herd no. on the other,– you can order these from any tag manufacturer, you cannot hand write.
Any of breed standard that you want to keep for breeding (or to make a decision later on) should again be double tagged.
You will need to tell the BPA that you are tagging – quote from their rules
“The BPA recommends Tattooing or Notching for Pedigree Identification. If you opt to use tags as your only form of identification you must inform the BPA in writing and follow the rules for double tagging registered pigs. Plastic button tags with your DEFRA herdmark on one side and your HDL and ear number on the other are best. We do not recommend metal tags for pedigree identification. Pigs for showing must be tattooed or notched.”
www.Oaklandspigs.co.uk
"Perfect Pigs" the complete guide to keeping pigs; One Day Pig Courses in South East;

oaklandspigs

• Joined Nov 2009
  • East Sussex
    • OaklandsPigs
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2011, 06:35:30 pm »
PS - This assumes that buyers of "meat pigs" do not want meat certificates (certifies that they were pedigree) - unless they have a very specific market this is unlikely.  However if they do want meat certificates, then they would need individual ID, so double tag as per breeding.

Finally on the birth notification form you would put only those you have tagged in the notified bit - eg if 8 born (and all survived to weaning), but only 3 tagged , then you would have :
Born alive 8
Born dead 0
weaned 8
Notified 3

Only those 3 could have either a meat certifiacte or be added as a registered pig.

Am becoming increasingly convined that you could set a GCSE exam on Pig ID !
www.Oaklandspigs.co.uk

Helencus

• Joined Feb 2010
  • NW Leicestershire
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2011, 07:09:51 pm »
Indeed I think I need to do extra revision!  ;D that's a huge help oaklands thanks so much for that. In terms of the mark what do I put, anything or do you do something specific?

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS